Board Repair

wicked168224

:(

I recently took a quarter sized chip out of my centerboard. Any suggestions in what product is best to fix this (ex. marine tex) ?

Thanks-
Mike

Don't use Marine Tex as it cures harder then the blades and as you sand it you end up "dishing out" the blade around the repair. Use any other 2 part epoxy with some silica filler and try to shape it before it completely cures.

To revive an old thread... on my way back on the train from a regatta, someone kicked my board bag, and broke off a chip roughly 1'' long by 1/2'' wide from the trailing tip of my daggerboard. Fortunately, it was a clean break and so I just epoxied the tip back onto the daggerboard. There is, however, a line I can feel with my finger. I know that it's essentially irrelevant to my sailing performance given how many other things I do wrong, but I'd prefer it to be perfect. I would just wet sand it, but I have a feeling that given that there is a discontinuity there, no matter how much I wet sand down there will still be a little catch in one direction or the other. Should I get a tiny amount of paint and brush it over, or use some filler, and then sand it down flat?

When someone or something broke a chip off of my daggerboard I used the mandrill of an old rivet, the stick that falls out when youre done, And drillled a hole a little bit smaller than the rivet, then tapped the rivet into the hole and placed marine tex on it with a duct tape bottom so you can get a smooth edge, then let it sit, tape side down, overnight! finally sand it down with a block of some sort and youre ready to go!!!!!!!

Hope it helps
ChalmersP

Greetings Jsvrolyk, and others;

I recently did some of this same work, filling in divits, and fixing small chips in my rudder and board. The repairs were made easy using 2 part epoxy and silica filler from West Marine. (West Systems) I mixed the appropriate proportions of the epoxy per the instructions provided on the cans, added silica filler to a peanut butter consistancy, and once dry, (about 60 minutes), sanded. I filled some areas only once, more troublesome areas up to three times, using thin coats of the filler each time. Finely I wet sanded with 600 grit paper, primed and painted. Easy as that, the job was completed in one day, minus drying time for the paint, resulting in a clean smooth surface.

Hope this helps;

Aloha;

Dave Vaughan, NW Florida

When someone or something broke a chip off of my daggerboard I used the mandrill of an old rivet, the stick that falls out when youre done, And drillled a hole a little bit smaller than the rivet, then tapped the rivet into the hole and placed marine tex on it with a duct tape bottom so you can get a smooth edge, then let it sit, tape side down, overnight! finally sand it down with a block of some sort and youre ready to go!!!!!!!

Hope it helps
ChalmersP

Thats exactly what I did because my repairs always continued to fail, but now I have a new boat with a new board!

I don't have any divets to fill, I just have a hairline crack that only barely catches your fingernail between the board and the piece I glued back on. After looking at it again, I think that painting it will sufficiently fill in the crack.

Back