Best way to spend $150 US on clothing

Tangster

Got $150-200 US ready to spend supporting my Laser sailing habit. Want to know what you think is the best way to spend it. Here are some relevant facts:

Sailing venue: racing, Cheasapeake Bay
Conditions: Water 40-80 F, wind highly variable 0-30 kts.
Skill level: Intermediate, new to Lasers, 15+ yrs in 2-person dinghy.
Current gear: breathable spray top, rash guard, gloves, boots.

Searched the archives and seems like hiking pants are the best core option, probably the SEA brand, but I'm still confused.

My current thinking is that I could extend my season (now limited to water temps > 65F) MORE by getting the neoprene vs. airprene. I know airprene is cooler when it's warm out, but is neoprene significantly warmer when it's cold out?

Or would I be better off getting cheaper hikers and adding a hot top? Or another option: get a steamer?

Thoughts?

If you want to sail in 40 degree water (and similar air temps), even a steamer may not keep you warm enough. There are some hybrid steamers with typical wetsuit fitting legs and baggy upper that look promising, as they would let you get some warm layers up top. Otherwise you are looking at a drysuit, especially if you plan to sail in 20+ knot of breeze and don't want to worry about what would happen if/when you capsize. Zhik has some new supposedly warm wetsuit gear on the market, but you would need to talk to someone at APS to see if it will keep you warm sailing in the lower temps/upper wind speeds (It's also way over the amount you want to spend)

As far as the hikers go, the Airprene seems to be the better choice, as you can wear .5mm or 1mm long wetpants or insulated long bike/running tights under it as the temps drop down into the upper 40's and 50s', yet still be relatively comfortable in the summer. I have both a 1mm full wetsuit and the SEA Airprene 3/4 hikers. I haven't noticed my legs any colder when wearing bike tights under just the hikers vs bike tights under the 1mm suit.

When looking at hikers, I'd suggest trying them on if at all possible, especially the ones with out the adjustable pads (aka SEA ) to make sure the battens are well positioned for your leg length - this isn't an issue with the newer magic marine and Zhik hikers, where the battens can be moved around. Make sure you can sit on your heels w/o the battens digging into the back of your knees.

FWIW, I am selling my hikers - if you wear a size Large, you might want to look at this thread...
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=5414

I've got the newer magic marines that have the curved batten pads and I can honestly say that I wish someone hadn't stolen my old beat up pair that had the batten pad that was totally flat. On the newer Magic Marine hikers the batten pads curve around your leg, and it feels like there is less support than the older standard flat batten pads. I would go with the SEA's.

I had the same delima a few years ago. I had a nice spray top, good gloves and boots. I already had a pair of SEA Airprene hiking shorts, but they did not cut it in 50 degree water. So I went with the 3 mm neoprene 3/4 leg SEA hikers and was very satisified. I have not made any other changes to my gear since.

Back