Best trailer?

pjo97

I bought my first SF (came with an old trailer) earlier this year and have been trailering it pretty regularly. I just noticed some cracking inside the cockpit over one of the trailer supports. I think I better get a better trailer before I do some real damage to the SF. I’ve seen a post which endorses the Trailex SUT-200. However, the supports look to be about the same size as the ones on my existing trailer. Another post from Supercub describes some custom made bunks. They look like they’d distribute the stress on the SF better but making them could be too involved for my taste. I’ve seen another model Trailex (SUT-500-S) which appears to have bunks more like the custom ones described by Supercub. Has anyone used this trailer and, if so, would you recommend this trailer for the SF? Alternatively, is anyone aware of a good trailer that is made specifically for the SF?

P.J.

The problem with the SUT250s (the 500 is just rated for more weight) is the length of the bunks are straight and won't match the contures of the fish hull. You'd have less contact with them than with the 4 point pads of the SUT-200-S.
Commercially the SUT-200-S is the bet off the shelf trailer for a Fish.
But a pair of 2 X8's scribed and cut to match the hull shape at the location you mount them on your current trailer and covered with carpet, makes for about the best mounting for a trailer.
I'm talking crosswise, not lengthwise on the trailer.

It's not trivial, but making Supercub style scribed bunks isn't is bad as you'd think. I haven't done any carpentry for aobut 25 years and had to buy a $34 jig saw (the kind with the adjustable shoe angle), but they work great (and look cute, too).
On the Sunfish_Sailor site, John Howard (Supercub) gave me step by step instructions in the photo album section. I modified his padding aproach using split pool noodles, but have recently found they now make flat pool noodles that would be PERFECT for boat bunks. My pics are also over there in the "70's Godlfish" album. So, I guess I'm saying that if a 50 yr old woman who didn't want things to be that involved and didn't own hardly any tools could handle it, you might be able to, too. :^)
--Catya
________
Harley-Davidson FLSTS

Catya,

I am curious to see how the pool noodle works as padding over some time. I have a friend that claims the stuff wore into the gelcoat on his vanguard 15. It may be a bit abrasive??? Please let us all know if you see any abraison at the padding contact points.

Tim

I think most foam products have some friction element when in contact with a smooth surface. My impression is the foam goes between the wood bunk and the I/O carpet. Ensolite camping sleeping pads cut into strips work for this application too. All better than any open-cell padding like carpet pad or foam rubber.

They don't come in contact with the boat, bunk-wise. The pool noodles are wrapped in sill seal foam and covered with indoor-outdoor carpet. I did pull my tie downs through pool noodles, So I can tell you whether that has any effect on the deck after a while, but there's not much friction in that context. My current favorite pool noodle use is I got one of those super fat ones, cut it in thirds, threaded bunji cords through them and use them to hold my mast and spars tube off the deck so that the splash guard doesn't put pressure on them. I love pool noodles!!!
--Catya
________
vaporizer review

I've rigged a small, personal watercraft trailer so that it carries a Seitech dolly with the Sunfish on top of it, sunny side up. The boat is tied to the dolly; the dolly is tied to the trailer. I can load and unload single handed and the boat, dolly and trailer share the same footprint in the garage.

If anyone's interested, I'll post pictures this week in a separate thread.

Kevin

Back