Best Rack for Car Topping?

LaserChef

Hello everyone!

Just came across this resource and hope to learn a lot about this special class from all of you!
We recently purchased a 2003 Radial rig for my kids. Would like to know your opinion of the Roof rack mfgers, as we'll be car topping this boat (Yukon XL). Tips for accessories?

Thanks in advance.

If you have the factory racks, both Yakima and Thule make good crossbars that mate up to the factory rack

Yakima uses round tube, Thule uses rectangle as their "classic" and also has an "aero" shaped bar (which may or may not match up with your system)

You want at least a 60" cross bar for a Laser and spars

I have the Thule rack system on my minivan - Plenty strong enough, but with nothing on the racks, it makes plenty of wind noise over 65mph...

Thanks 49,

My hesitation on the thule is based on the fact that according to them, in order to use the 65" bars you must use their system that involves removing the factory rack. The "rapid rails" system (which grips on the GMC rack) only goes 52" wide.

I'm not up for the aesthetics of driving 95% of the time with only the cross bars, and your noise comments add to my posture. Not to mention having to remove and replace the factory rack each time out.

On either system do you need to use foam or other padding where the boat rests on the bars?

Thanks for your reply.

Racks and Pads

Either rack system should work just fine. Get a hold of the complete catalogue of rack equipment to find exactly what you need. Call their 800 number with questions.

And get some 4' pads. You can make them yourself, but for the price get the covered velcro attachment ones. They'll last longer and be less hassle.

Back