Best epoxy/fairing compound to repair boards

mlemieux1978

Finally getting around to fixing my busted old boards. Any opinions on the best epoxy/fairing compound for repairing resin boards.

thanks in advance,
Mike

I've had success with MAS, West Systems epoxies mixed with chopped mat when fixing shark bites. For fairing, replace the chopped mat with microballons.

Marine Tex also works well, but it always seems much harder to me to get the proper ratio unless I'm using half of the can or the whole can, I don't have a scale to weigh it out..

There is also some good vinylester fairing compoung out there - 3M and interlux I believe both offer it, fast curing .. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Fairing%20Compounds%20and%20Repair%20Putties&categoryId=528&refine=1&page=GRID

and last but not least, for just fairing, Bondo will do the job

Thanks for the link. I've used JD's before and they are great with customer service. Also its owned by a fellow dinghy sailor so they stock a lot of relevant goods. Anyone used System Three Quickfair? it sounds pretty good. 3M products all require 3 topcoats so that gets a little pricey. Also I wondered if anyone had any luck and/or advice with straightening a heat deformed rudder. I kid with the guys at the ramp that it negates weather helm, but enough is enough.

thanks
Mike

For faring, I'm a huge fan of WEST with their Microlight filler (I forget the product number). I think it's a bit easier to sand/shape than microballons.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Back