Best Cold Weather Hiking Boot?

Laser162540

What is the best cold weather hiking boot for Laser sailing?

I am considering the Ronstan neoprene zip boot or the new Gill neoprene One Design Hiking boot (new black color w/ the razor cut sole). The Ronstan is priced $15 US bucks more - is it worth the price difference?

Other suggestions?

if you prefer the toes of your boots to be protected for hiking go with the ronstan or gills. but if you don't care get a pair of diving boots. i have a pair which i use and they keep my feet nice and warm.

Hello Sanford,
Here's another boot you might try, wade fishing boots. very similar to a dive boot there is several companys that make them. I've been using a wade fishing boots for over a year and half now and they are just starting to show some signs of wear.
The brand of the boot is called Chota, they sell them at the Academy sporting goods stores here in Texas. They have a rubber coating over the top of your foot (good for saving the neoprene from your hiking strap), I just bought another pair, retail price on them is $39.95. There are several other that are cheaper and look like they are pretty good boots too but they are a tad heavier. Shimano makes one that is going for $29.95 and looked really solid, but with the solid came the heavy, maybe 2-3 pounds for the pair.
It's good to see another Laser sailing Texan on the forum, Hope to see you at the D-15 events this coming year.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

sailor327 said:
if you prefer the toes of your boots to be protected for hiking go with the ronstan or gills. but if you don't care get a pair of diving boots. i have a pair which i use and they keep my feet nice and warm.

Does the black neoprene mark the deck?

I have the Gill boots -- they keep my feet toasty and are sturdy across the top of the arch and toes. They're good for non-skid on the boat, but they don't help on slimy ramps. :( I don't know anything about the Ronstans.

Janet

The new Gill - by photos - has a white razor cut sole, but the upper neoprene is now black. Gill has apparently discontinued its old style beige neoprene boot

Hi,

You might look at all the new boots made specifically for Jet Skiers. I got a great pair on ebay for $20. that have a neoprene booty, and a rugged converse-style outer sneaker. Mine are black and white, brand is "slippery" (odd choice? lol). the sole is non-marking and quite aggressively patterned. Yamaha makes some too, probably others.

www.overtons.com has some other interesting boots, but not the brand I have.

This site shows the pair that I have (retail is $69). They lace up the front, but that doesn't bother due to the soft booty inside

http://www.azjetski.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=14&sort=3a&page=1

Al Russell 138888

When it's cold I wear neoprene socks with my Ronstan Zip Up Boots. I also sail in Florida where the water can get cold but not like up north.

Laser162540 said:
What is the best cold weather hiking boot for Laser sailing?

I am considering the Ronstan neoprene zip boot or the new Gill neoprene One Design Hiking boot (new black color w/ the razor cut sole). The Ronstan is priced $15 US bucks more - is it worth the price difference?

Other suggestions?

I've been using the Ronstan boot for 3 years, hasn't torn/worn/ripped. In water temps above 50 degrees, I wear it just over my bare foot, plenty warm. Below that I usually wear a drysuit with booties, with a single wicking sock inside the drysuit and again my feet are warm. I doubt there would be much of a difference in warmth between the neoprene boots. Grip on the bottom doesn't make much of a difference Laser sailing.

Hello Janet,
I used a pair of old black neoprene dive boots at first... The rubber on the bottom did mark up the boat. The neoprene will not mark up the boat. But these were pretty old dive boots and had been degraded by heat (stored'em in my truck tool box) along with the mask,snorkel and fins. I don't think you'd have any problems if they were in good condition.

Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

HI, I have been using this combo for our cooler weather days: my trusty poly fleece Old Navy black watch-cap on my head, Mysterioso long sleeve rash guard shirt under the Mysterioso M Tech long sleeve fleece zip front top, Mysterioso M Tech long bottoms, Seal Skinz water proof socks pulled over the bottoms of the fleece pant legs, over which I wear a pair of REI waterproof velcro closure stretchie ankle cuff pants. I tuck the sealed bottoms of the waterproof pants into my Ronstan racing boots and when they are zipped they create a fairly water resistant seal. I have like no body fat to insulate me naturally, so even in our sdomewhat cooler Texas weather (I know, it's not that cool) I like to feel toasty. I got the shirts and boots at KO Sailing and the socks and pants at REI. I have worn the gear with the set-up I described quite a few times and it keeps me warm and dry.

Neoprene Aigles are the way to go in cold weather. Add in a pair of fleece socks and your toes will thank you.

odinsvitskjaldr said:
HI, I have been using this combo for our cooler weather days: my trusty poly fleece Old Navy black watch-cap on my head, Mysterioso long sleeve rash guard shirt under the Mysterioso M Tech long sleeve fleece zip front top, Mysterioso M Tech long bottoms, Seal Skinz water proof socks pulled over the bottoms of the fleece pant legs, over which I wear a pair of REI waterproof velcro closure stretchie ankle cuff pants. I tuck the sealed bottoms of the waterproof pants into my Ronstan racing boots and when they are zipped they create a fairly water resistant seal. I have like no body fat to insulate me naturally, so even in our sdomewhat cooler Texas weather (I know, it's not that cool) I like to feel toasty. I got the shirts and boots at KO Sailing and the socks and pants at REI. I have worn the gear with the set-up I described quite a few times and it keeps me warm and dry.

Back