bent lower sections

jsmith4265

Hey, does anyone know if a bent lower section can be straightened, maybe in a machine shop or something, or does it have to be replaced?

Jeff

You can try straightening it yourself. I've used trailer, trees and car bumpers to apply pressure in the opposite direction of the bend. You want to support the section with as much surface area as possible at the location of the bend so that you don't dimple the area when bending it back.

If the bend is at the gooseneck or vang fitting, and it's the first time, bending it back is ok. If it happens again, straighten it again and then end for end the fittings.

there is one other thing that u forgot to mention greg , if u put sand in the section it stifens it and prevents it from becnding back. (well it did for me)
well i had my piece cya

Alloy said:
there is one other thing that u forgot to mention greg , if u put sand in the section it stifens it and prevents it from becnding back. (well it did for me)
well i had my piece cya

Are you talking about sailing around w/a lower mast section full of sand? Or does sand seem to have a curing effect on the metal after bending it back?

Alloy said:
if u put sand in the section it stifens it and prevents it from becnding back.
I think he may be talking about the practice of filling a tube with sand while bending it to prevent the walls from kinking or collapsing in on themselves (the sand supports the walls and forces them to stretch rather than kink). You remove the sand after the bending operation is complete.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

GeoffS said:
I think he may be talking about the practice of filling a tube with sand while bending it to prevent the walls from kinking or collapsing in on themselves (the sand supports the walls and forces them to stretch rather than kink). You remove the sand after the bending operation is complete.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

That makes much more sense.

haha, for a little while I thought he meant that he was actually sailing around with a mast full of sand, probably drilling through his mast step.

Back