Beating Upwind (Radial)

macwas16

My coach told me that when going close hauled upwind, you should not two block the main like the Laser, and in the Radial you should leave about two to three inches. I've seen people doing both and I cannot tell which is faster. Any Radial sailors have an opinion...

And also...I was wondering, when going close hauled upwind, is it faster to sail a higher, but a little slower course, or lower, but a little faster course overall??

Thanks!

I find that pointing a little lower(not to low) on some tacks and pointing higher on others has helped me. I am no expert, and I don't have a set rule. I might point low or high depending on the wind.

When the radial is not overpowered, easing a bit from block to block is ideal.

In general, flat water needs pointing (sail high) and waves need speed (sail low and fast).

In really string winds if you point too high you will always keep turning into the wind so sailing lower is better.

So you're saying...in light winds and in flat seas you should point higher...and in stronger winds with waves you should point a little lower. I'm assuming you do this so you're not constanly slamming into waves and knocking out boatspeed and the air in your sails?

Well, our coachs say that even in a radial, you can two block. However, it doesn't really flatten out the sail unless u have massive cunningham on, otherwise it just closes up the leech and makes more power.

As for the course, in light winds, sail the fastest course you can, don't pinch it up too high. In heavier winds, try to keep the boat flat, but don't luff it so much. Its better to keep the speed up, heel a bit (but not too much) and shoot up higher a lot then bear off, so you are kinda zig zagging up towards the wind to keep the boat at a constant rate of speed and heel.

Back