Balance, thanks, old style question, and old style rule book. (This has it all)

tcwings20

Before purchasing my Laser I read many forms on this page finding out useful info for when I went on my first sail. Sadly one of the threads I read mentioned someones boat being stolen. I believe for every bad there should be a good. To get my laser I had to drive 18hrs and by the time I got there I was overjoyed to see my boat, as we where finding the rigging, boards, sails, ect. The man I was buying my boat from decided to "pass on the sailing tradition", he gave me the boat for free. I was in shock and I almost didn't here him, he said to put the money towards a trailer or dollie. This just goes to show the true sailing spirit, passing the trade on to further generations. I am eternally grateful and I plan to keep the boat for a long time, until it is my turn to "pass it on" ( which I believe will be the name of the boat ).

The boat is outfitted with all old style rigging and I was wondering if any one has, without purchasing blocks, a way to improve these lines performance. I am familiar with the Truckers Hitch and I am wondering if I can use this in place of a block or if the friction gain out weighs the purchase gain.

Also the owner has kept in wonderful condition, the rule book from '83 ( the boat is an '86 ), and the Standard rigging guide ( with "M" rigging inserts ). So if anyone has any '80's protests they'd like to get off their chest I'd be happy to post pictures.

go to my rigging page. The new stuff is now ten years out of date but the old stuff...way down teh opage...shows how to do exactly as you ask complete with line brands and lengths.

You may have to copy and paste the url The linkmaker "insert link" button on the forum page isn't working for me...

http://schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

To get my laser I had to drive 18hrs and by the time I got there I was overjoyed to see my boat, as we where finding the rigging, boards, sails, ect. The man I was buying my boat from decided to "pass on the sailing tradition", he gave me the boat for free. I was in shock and I almost didn't here him, he said to put the money towards a trailer or dollie. This just goes to show the true sailing spirit, passing the trade on to further generations. I am eternally grateful and I plan to keep the boat for a long time, until it is my turn to "pass it on" ( which I believe will be the name of the boat ).

Just awesome and what a great gesture. I have a feeling that your Laser will have a very long useful life and be much loved by its owners.

go to my rigging page. The new stuff is now ten years out of date but the old stuff...way down teh opage...shows how to do exactly as you ask complete with line brands and lengths.
This is what I got from your pics on the outhaul. The outhaul is my first worry and I know I should be worried about the vang so Ill try working on that next.
My crude drawing is drawn looking down on the boom, the mast it the circle, the gray is the outhaul, the pink is a block, white is the sail with the red being the eye, and the blue is the clam cleat and fairlead.
Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry about double posting the thread my computer has been having some issues so if someone could delete that that would be great thanks.

Attachments

• outhaul plan2.PNG
    outhaul plan2.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 30
I tried to rig the boat last night and everything went pretty well except the vang is really tight. I had it off completely and there was a ton of tension on the leech of my sail. What could this be? Thanks.

HELP please with the vang. I cant figure it out! It was all the way to the cleat and the vang was super tight I can't think of what this would be I've rigged other Lasers and never had this problem. Any ideas please?

Back