Bailer- Sealeant

What is the purpose putting sealant when reinstalling the bailer? Sealant to the screw threads of course but there is no sealant on my bailer.

There are two reasons (that I've heard) for sealing the edge of the bailer. The first is to smooth the transition between the bailer and the hull. Many sailors put sealant around the edges of the bailer, then smooth out the material which squeezes out from around the edges with a fingertip or wetted cloth. In general, fairing out the lip makes sense to me, since it probably lowers drag. Some also put silicone over the screwhead-- filling in the depression-- and I must admit that I do this, though it seems a bit like overkill. The second reason is that a tight seal around the bailer helps it to "create suction." I've heard this explanation from several sailors. I'm inclined to think it is right, but I haven't seen any empirical evidence to back it up.

I think the best thing we can all do to make the bailer work in really challenging conditions is to remove the bailer plug and tape the bailer post down to the cockpit floor-- a trick made legal in the latest edition of the rules. This keeps it open and working in wind and waves.

Hope that helps!

Hi,
here is some information for the Bailer repair. The sealed Bailer works more efficient (reason: the technical "Principle of Bernoulli") than the not sealed one.

Also, the seald Bailer fits better to the surface of the hull, so the hull has some milli-inch per hour more speed ;)

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=4428

Ciao
LooserLu

Thank you "yell0wd0g" and "LooserLu"
As minimal as it seeeeems I buy it, several small helps can add up to a significant differance. And those pictures are good, really good. I had already replaced the o-rings and bailer with those expensive parts from Vanguard and learned how it works. Hopefully the rings will last a while, I think they had been broken for some time before I realized it.
If there is a preferable sealant I'll use it next time I replace the bailer.
Thanks again.

Hi,
here is some information for the Bailer repair. The sealed Bailer works more efficient (reason: the technical "Principle of Bernoulli") than the not sealed one.

Also, the seald Bailer fits better to the surface of the hull, so the hull has some milli-inch per hour more speed ;)

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=4428

Ciao
LooserLu

Every milli-inch/hour counts

in the America's cup....

PS: In the first race between Luna Rossa and Emirates New Zealand, the difference at the finish line was ~8 sec (the race lasted over 1 hour).

Back