Bailer Question

Monk17

I've got a 1970 Sunfish that I think I'll be replacing the bailer on. Is there an advantage to going to the new style bailer? I understand it's plastic which concerns me with beach landings and overall durability. Thanks!

No problem, really (and the plastic version won't corrode).
If you slide your fish after a beach landing, I recommend doing so on the starboard side.

I'm by no means an expert on these. Here is what I learned recently when I decided to toss out my metal bailer--to save weight and because I don't think it works anymore. Parts are hard to find for the metal ones--I'm told.

There are two types of plastic bailers. Old style and new style.

I just ordered one from Torresen Marine--told them the year of the boat and trusted them to send me the correct part. I have not received it yet, so I can't comment much about it.

If you order one be sure you get the right one for your boat.

As to durability, I hope you'll find what I have--I land on a small beach strewn with rocks, glass, etc. and recently crashed against a concrete breakwater causing gouges and two holes requiring fiberglass repair...but my plastic bailer (new version) suffered only a few scratches that don't affect its effectiveness at all.

That's good news on the durability issue.

Could you elaborate a bit on half way through getting it off?

Thanks!

Back