Bailer Opening

danpal

So I have a leak in the hull where the bailer opening is. The tub and the hull have separated at the opening and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clamp it with epoxy. I was thinking of making two wooden disks with a hole in the center for a nut and bolt making sure to use either wax paper or plastic wrap so it's not permanently bonded to the hull. Does anybody have any other ideas or experience with this?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Your idea sounds good. Be sure the area you are gluing is completely dry then saturate with epoxy resin or regular fiberglass polyester resin and see if you can jam in some scraps of fiberglass cloth for extra strength and a thicker bond, Screw tight and let cure. Sand off the excess resin/cloth and reinstall bailer assembly. For the record, it is somewhat rare to get damage in this area as the fiberglass is the thickest at this part of the hull.

If possible, take and post photos here on the Forum.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Good idea, just don't go too tight or you'll squeeze all the epoxy out. I did the repair with 3 tiny clamps that fit in the hole, used a syringe to put in some unthickened epoxy first then used west system epoxy thickened with 406 filler to fill the visible gap. Diamond file to shape.

Sometimes that area is delaminated from an aggressive removal of an old metal bailer, wonder how I know that :/

Back