Avalon/Stone Harbor, NJ

I may be spending a week in Avalon or Stone Harbor this summer. It appears from maps that there is very limited water on the bayside and probably not much opportunity for good sailing. Is this true? Are there any good places for sailing and launching in that vicinity?

Thanks.

I may be spending a week in Avalon or Stone Harbor this summer. It appears from maps that there is very limited water on the bayside and probably not much opportunity for good sailing. Is this true? Are there any good places for sailing and launching in that vicinity?

Thanks.

The sailing once you get south of Long Beach Island does get a little cramped, there are a lot of small islands all over the place that can prevent some good open water racing. Cape May and Ocean City both have ocean options but the other clubs are stuck staying in the bays.

Avalon has a Laser fleet that only started a few years ago and is growing slowly. I'm sure you can jump in on their weekend racing and they can show you where to sail.

Here's the link to their site.
http://home.comcast.net/~johng2009/AYCLaserFleet.html

The email address to the fleet captain is on the page.

I don't think Stone Harbor has an adult fleet, but a junior radial fleet.

Depending on the weekend you are there, you might be able to jump in on the MAYRA series. They race Sundays at different clubs all over south NJ. They would be more than willing to take another boat into the fleet.

Back