Ash for rudder blade ??

El Mar

If you read my other thread on needing a rudder blade......

I am going to construct a blade to the new design (shape) for my old, 1968 sunfish. I have all parts needed except for a blade (tiller, hardware, etc.)

All I have in stock for the 9-10" width right now is ash. Good? bad? what say you?

Also, I have a full wood shop so making it not a problem.

What do you think? Will I get laughed at on the beach. ;)

I have made dozens of wood Sunfish rudder blades but have always used mahogany. (White) Ash is a great hardwood for marine applications and is the wood of choice for making
gunnels on canoes and dinghys, but I have never seen a rudder made out of ash. If you us it I suggest you rip 3/4" thick strips and laminate them with epoxy. This way you will get a stiffer blade (ash is very flexible). Google "Fast Blades - Alan Glos" for an article I wrote about making small boat rudders.

Alan Glos

I have made dozens of wood Sunfish rudder blades but have always used mahogany. (White) Ash is a great hardwood for marine applications and is the wood of choice for making
gunnels on canoes and dinghys, but I have never seen a rudder made out of ash. If you us it I suggest you rip 3/4" thick strips and laminate them with epoxy. This way you will get a stiffer blade (ash is very flexible). Google "Fast Blades - Alan Glos" for an article I wrote about making small boat rudders.

Alan Glos
Would you suggest reversing each strip—regarding the grain?

Yes, alternate the grain to get resistance to warp. See the aforementioned article for the details. I made several rudder blades out of Sitka spruce.

Alan Glos

Just read the article. As a shop teacher, I can appreciate these parts of the article. :cool:

Alan Glos said:
I was a high school student at the time, and usually took a wood shop class in lieu of an end-of-the-school day study hall, and I was always looking for projects.

My shop teacher, Mr. Nelson, told me that using a hand plane was the best method to rough out the shape. The planes in the shop were old and dull, and my first task was to grind a proper cutting angle on one of the plane irons and then hand sharpen it with a flat sharpening stone and cutting oil. I recall the process took the better part of three hours, but the result was a sharp plane that could shave a thin ribbon of mahogany without gouging or making burrs. I must admit that I became enthralled with the romance of using a sharp tool on a fine piece of wood.

Mr. Nelson often said: “Don’t forget that sandpaper is a tool” and even though we had a power sander in the shop, he made us do most of our sanding by hand. I sanded for days, and when I was done, the results were gratifying and the unfinished rudder blade looked great.

Last edited:

Back