Anyone in Tampa?

scubadave

I just recently got my sunfish back together...and am new to the Tampa area. I have taken my boat out twice so far, and have found a pretty good place (Howard Park...on the Gulf of Mexico) to sail, but I was wondering if anyone from the general area could recommend some decent sailing spots.

Thanks!

I visit my sister at Christmas time. She lives in Apollo Beach, on an inclosed inlet/bay. I'd say it's an ideal place to learn. Access to the gulf is easily available. Not sure where you'd launch, but could easily find out.

Al

I appreciate the info...but I'm not looking for beginner sailing. Does this place have strong winds? That was what made Howard Park such a cool place...the winds were strong and steady...and since there wasn't a boat ramp in the area...there were just windsurfers and those kite surfing guys there.

Try Duneden Causeway that heads into Honeymoon Island. I also sail Howard park and really enjoy it. A lot of sailers sail Duneden, fish, cats etc.

You can launch at Howard Park right at the beginnig of the causeway on the left side just before the jet ski launches or parking. Just back the trailer right before ski's. You can sail right across to Anchloe key where the lighthouse is located.

Thanks for the info. Where on the Causeway can I put my boat in?
I saw the areas where I could get my boat off the trailer at Howard Park, but I pull my boat with an Altima...and I'm a little hesitant to hang the trailer down that slope with my car!!! (I do like that there is no way for motor boats to launch there though...it keeps the area more pristine for us little guys!!!)

Back at ya scuba There is a slope along the parking area, I have launched a 15 foot Precision many times using a PT cruiser it weighed about 400 lbs plus trailer. I now have the fish to bring it in easier when the tide rolls out at only 120 or so lbs. It looks worse then it is. Back down a little and and pull back up. use a chock if you want when you stop. I do not submerge the trailer, I get the wife to grab one side and lift it into the water, I also take a seitec dolly which I use if the tide is out or i'm by myself. The pt cruiser was 4 cyl. and front wheel drive. I now use a 4 runner 2 wheel drive and no problem either. rear wheel power. That slope does make you leary at first, the jet skiers do it all the time with all kinds of vehicles.

Back