Another Proud New Sunfish Owner, Member Etc. (pics!)

gsr977

Apr1977-Sunfish
Recently acquired a Sunfish, which using the serial guide on this site states it was manufactured 4/77. Let me first say hello and that I am very excited to be getting into sailing, and to be a new member here! My fish seems to be complete, yet a few minor repairs are to be made before I dip her into the water. I have been using the last week (how long it has been since I acquired the boat) to study every aspect of Sunfish sailing, repair and rigging I can find. I have come across a few sites explaining the basic rigging of the sunfish yet I still have questions, mainly about halyard placement on the upper boom. The paint was oxidized and a bit moldy but after an afternoon of scrubbing she came out looking fairly nice. There are a few spots that need attention where gel-coat has chipped. I am looking to make a couple "quickie" epoxy patch repairs this weekend and enjoy the boat as soon as the next few weeks.

sf.jpg

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

sf4.jpg

sf5.jpg

sf6.jpg

sf7.jpg

sf8.jpg

sf9.jpg

sf10.jpg

sf11.jpg

Welcome!

We're happy to have you! You've got a nice looking little boat there, for sure. Looks like it's been well taken care of. I'm pretty new too but there are lots of knowledgeable sailors here.

The cracks by the bailer look to me like a job for Marine-Tex...do they go all they way through?

The halyard should be tied between the ninth and tenth sail ring, counting upwards from the tack... but there's a little room for adjustment based on preference.

Your sail looks to be in very sweet shape. (Mine is hurting big time.):(

Keep reading around, you're definitely in the right place!

-Pete

I have been using the last week (how long it has been since I acquired the boat) to study every aspect of Sunfish sailing, repair and rigging I can find. I have come across a few sites explaining the basic rigging of the sunfish yet I still have questions, mainly about halyard placement on the upper boom.

gsr977,
welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase! looks like a pretty nice find, and in pretty good condition, too. if you haven't already seen these couple files, check them out for some good information on sailing the Sunfish and how to set up the rigging:

again, welcome, and keep asking questions!

cheers,
tag

I am fairly new to the 'Fish community myself and have already acquired a second hull I am hoping will buff out as nicely as yours did. That is a sharp looking boat you have there.

They are great boats to sail and to work on. The knowledge around this forum is top notch, I have learned a ton in the short time I have been here.

Oh, and nice sail pattern you have there, notice mine in my avatar ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and compliments! I have been wanting a Sunfish for about a year now. I acquired the boat from a distant friend of the family for about $350 trailer and all. I think he saw the mold and crud on it and dropped his price dramatically, and I jumped on his offer.

The cracks are superficial and only in the gel coat so I think marine-tex will do fine until one day I decide to redo the whole boat (hopefully many years from now). We have a west marine store in Dallas and they sell a gel coat hairline crack sealer called "Evercoat marine gel coat scratch patch" I may try for the minor gel coat cracks.

I was thinking about re-varnishing the keel and rudder what would be a good varnish to use?

I think in another month or so it will be warming up and the lake temps will be pleasant enough to swim in. Thanks for the quick responses on my questions I'm sure I'll come up with more in the future!

Also, thanks for the PDF's I think that's exactly what I needed!

Nice boat, mine was painted at some point to resemble yours. I have a thread a couple down with pics, but I'm going to be redoing my boat, it's needing a new paint job. Good luck to you, and btw, West Marine is over priced on everything, but there aren't too many options down here in Texas I suppose. I'm in Houston, and took my boat out two weekends ago. Water felt great!

Yeah did a search on marine supply near where I live and the options were fairly limited, its mostly motorboat supply here. I thought about mail order but the extra cost to ship breaks even I suppose. I think my biggest hurdles are going to be getting the trailer ready to roll.

What all does the trailer need? Mine needed new tires and lights when I bought it, but otherwise was in good shape. I guess I need to install some bunks, but that's it.

Yeah did a search on marine supply near where I live and the options were fairly limited, its mostly motorboat supply here. I thought about mail order but the extra cost to ship breaks even I suppose. I think my biggest hurdles are going to be getting the trailer ready to roll.
Motorboats are fiberglass and gelcoat too. Maybe you have enough shops around the competition keeps fiberglass maintenance supplies reasonably priced.

That is a good point, I think to do the repairs I need to do will set me back around $40 or so.

As far as the trailer I think all it really needs is registering, wheel bearings checked and some new securing straps, worst case scenario tires..

Nice looking boat you have there, specially for that kind of money. To me looks ready for the water and just like you I hope to get mine in the water in a weeks time. Pending how this weather will cooperate. Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm excited to get it to the lake and sailing soon! Weather here has been perfect 10-15 mph steady and about 85 degrees.

Back