Am I Doing This Wrong? (nearly capsizing)

tmw

So, after several days of kayaking weather (no wind), we finally got some wind (and comfortable temps) on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay) yesterday evening. The wind was a little gusty.

As I'm on a close haul, several times a strong puff would start to blow me over. My reaction with the sail sheeted closely is to turn into the wind, while also shifting my weight (ballast) windward. There were multiple times that water came over the edges and I had to basically "toss" the tiller to the far side to avoid capsizing as I shifted to windward. Each time the boat eventually righted turning into the wind while I ducked the oncoming boom before I could grab the tiller again. I don't have a tiller extension.

Is that normal where one has to drop the tiller to avoid capsizing? Is there a better technique? I don't think I'm being conservative, as water came over the rails multiple times. Loosening the main sheet is another option, but once I committed to turning windward seems difficult with the existing rigging.

Thank you,
Tim

Ease the sheet just a bit, hike hard to flatten the boat out and trim the sail back in to where it was before.

Yeah, I see a tiller extension in my future soon. Quite challenging to sail without it.

As for the mainsail, to quote the article, beginners usually pull it in too far. I'll have to work on finding that small flutter in the front edge.

Thanks

This may help. https://www.sunfishclass.org/documents/learn_2_sail_in_3_days.pdf .Be sure ysar sail is rigged to be about as high as shown. And airflow is right, let the sail out! Also,get a tiller extension . It is impossible to sail well in a breeze without it.

The wind was a little gusty. As I'm on a close haul, several times a strong puff would start to blow me over. My reaction with the sail sheeted closely is to turn into the wind, while also shifting my weight (ballast) windward.

Until you get your sea-legs, try sitting down inside the cockpit. (That position requires a tiller extension, which can be jury-rigged for the weekend using a broomstick, a bolt (or knotted line), and a short length of discarded garden hose—or one or more fat rubber washers).

While sitting on the sole, some prefer the position "Indian Style" (cross-legged). I elevate my feet up on the foredeck, shifting them about 18" when changing tack. It's not impossible to capsize a Sunfish from that position, but it'll give you "just-enough" warning when in rough water or when a gust hits. :cool: If you find yourself in really dire straits :oops: (and upwind of your destination) you can lower the sail, and using your mast (and body) as a sail, still steer successfully for home. :)

LVW, you do realize don't you that "Indian Style" is frowned upon today and that the correct term is "Criss Cross Applesauce". Just thought you'd want to know...:rolleyes:

Back