A view from inside - Cuddy removed!

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by woodbark, Feb 18, 2013.

1. woodbark

woodbark Member

I decided at the end of last summer that it was time to utilize the space in the bow area of my Mod 2. I really was not prepared for what I would find.

The Cuddy box was a lot easier to remove than I expected, after removing the screws around the flange, I used a chisel as a pry bar and gently pried, a little bit at a time between the Cuddy flange and deck face and it slowly started to separate. Eventually it popped apart, then it was just a matter of hauling it out of there!
    It's actually quite huge or deep as you can see from the photo! I am penciling in a cut off mark around it as I will be reusing the front surround/flange to re-trim the opening.

If you always wanted to see what was inside, behind that Cuddy Stowage! ..... well here it is!

Web Image #7.jpg Web image #1.jpg Web image #11.jpg Web image #10.jpg Web image #8.jpg Web image #5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. robm5

robm5 New Member

Too cool!! Makes me wonder why Catalina didn't do more with this space from the beginning... This may be a stupid question, but were the empty water/milk cartons from Catalina or were those your own added buoyancy feature?

-Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. woodbark

woodbark Member

Rob, I'm pretty sure they are water jugs and are original from Catalina.
    The extra space will be great for stowing the sails and maybe a couple of deep cycle batteries for the Electric trolling motor or spare fuel for the gas motor. Actually the space is big enough to stow away the motors as well ...... The Hatch Door will be lockable ;)

4. gregwcoats

gregwcoats Member

Those water jugs are stock from Catalina, my 1987 has them as well. They are for positive floatation.

5. Buzzz

Buzzz New Member

My mod -1 1985 has that area wide open. I have styrofoam blocks under the benches. So I guess Catalina used to give you the space, but took it for a neater appearance.

6. douga7002

douga7002 New Member

Mod 1s did not have the cuddy. The bow was completely open as shown in these photos.

7. douga7002

douga7002 New Member

I hauled a trolling motor in the cockpit one time and it marked the fiberglass up bad. Now I haul the motor in the back of my truck.