A question about the mast hole...

trist007

I currently have my sunfish outside. I should just cover it but was I wondering, when it rains obviously water goes into the hole where the mast goes. I know there is cork at the bottom of the mast hole and so water can evaporate. However, is it better to cover the hole? Or just leave it open?

-Tristan

I suggest you first fill up the hole and see if it leaks.

If it does not leak and you do not get water in the hull then it kind of does not matter if the hole is covered or not.

How do you know there is cork at the bottom and and how does that help it evaporate? Mine are all fiberglass so far as I can tell.

Keep in mind one of mine had cracks and needed to be sealed so I am more familiar with the hole then I wanted to be.

There are still freezing night temperatures along the East Coast: mosquito hazards elsewhere.

An old tennis ball makes a perfect keep-the-rain out stopper. If you store the boat outside in sub-freezimg temps, store it deck side down or risk cracks in the hull.

I think the cork in the bottom of your mast hole came from an old mast without a plastic end cap. Older masts had a cork sectioin at each end to keep water out. You should remove it as it serves no function. Does your mast have a plastic base cap? If not, install one as the raw edge of the aluminum mast will eventually cookie-cut its way into the fiberglass.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Cause the bottom of my mast was missing its cap and pieces of cork came out. So I put the cap onto the bottom of the mast. Yea good call on the tennis ball. Thank you guys.

Back