A new Respect for Sailors of smaller Boats

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Billy WIlliams, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Billy WIlliams

Billy WIlliams New Member

blue boat 2.jpg blue boat.jpg A friend gave me a sailboat today just to get it out of his yard. He said that another fellow told him some years ago that it was an English made boat, we just son't know. Does anyone have an idea what it is? I would just like to know. Wooden boat, about 11' long, storage under seating and the bow area, the upper half of the mast is wood and raised like my sunfish, has a really short centerboard.

Attached Files:

2. cnovark

cnovark Member

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Your mainsail is equipped with what is called a "Gunter" rig. Handy in England for going under their many low bridges. Even British steamboats had their chimney stacks on a hinge.:oops:

Your boat is short only because of British tax laws. In New Hampshire, it would be exempt from the existing "Wind Tax" of sailboats over 12'. (12+ feet is $45 annually).

British small boat designs are very well done, and affected the fine sailboats available here in wood or fiberglass in the 60s and 70s. Some, like Windmill and Thistle classes are actively raced today. My own British-designed Tornado was entered in the World Olympics (1976), and has the World Olympics inspection seal on the mainsail. (The Tornado was used as the as equipment for the multihull discipline in the Olympic Games from 1976 through 2008).

Are you located in central Florida? If so, that's a tough environment to keep a wooden boat from rotting away—or eaten by termites! :( If you want to sell it, try Craigslist in New England states.

As previously stated, try:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_(dinghy)

70,000 were made, but few made it to our shores.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Billy WIlliams

Thanks, for all of the information. Yes the environment is tough here, there is some rot in the bow area and a spot on one side. I'm thinking of repairing the boat, but I don't know if it's worth it. This thing may be something that someone would want, I'll have to ask around.....

5. signal charlie

signal charlie Well-Known Member Staff Member

You can clean up those areas and seal them with West System 105 Epoxy Resin and any of the hardeners. Add filler as needed. Repaint.
    Looks worth repairing, if you ask around here in NW Florida if someone wants it we'd say yes :)

6. Stache

Stache Member

Is that a GoPro and how did you secure it to the end of the boom?? I have a Kodak PlaySport and a helmet mount. Hmmm, thinking.

7. Billy WIlliams

Okay, I just picked up another sailboat this weekend. From what I can find out about this boat, I'm in a pretty small group. It's a US-1. It needed a few repairs, which I have almost finished, before I could try her out. I hope to get in the water by Friday. I'll post some pictures. Anyone else have one of these?

8. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

The US-1 was made by the Advance Sailboat Corp in Missouri. The hull came from a chopped down Windmill hull (lower sheer). It was made as a response to the success of the Laser.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James W.

James W. Member

Welcome aboard young man!! Lots of fun communing with nature!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014