$200 Pre 70 Sunfish

norcalsail

Well, I'm back in northern Wisconsin after driving three long days from Santa Rosa, CA. So glad to be here and today is the first "lake day." Some may remember a few years back when I bought a new red sail for my Oldfish. My Dad was really happy to see the new sail and me sailing the boat we went and bought together back in 1978. That was in 2019 and was his last year up here before he died. Well, I think I started something that year because when I came back in 2020, my next door neighbor, Rick had a Sunfish and there were a few others on the lake. Last year, Rick bought another Sunfish for $200, so he has two. This year, he let me know that his next door neighbor had a Sunfish he wanted to sell for $200. A pre 70's boat with a dark green deck. All complete but with a torn sail. This boat has been stored inside their boathouse for over 50 years and is about 50 yards from my boathouse where I am sitting right now. I am buying it and Rick is giving me another sail. They said if it sinks, they'll give me my money back but the mast and spars are worth it alone. I saw it and it looks really clean, dry, and light. This boat was in that boathouse when I was here as a four year old kid in 1969. We'll pull it out in a day or two and I'll send photos. Happy sails to everyone and shout out to Andyatos. (We'll hit the water when I return to California in August).

Great story- that boat has been waiting for you for all these years… I do think you’ve awoken the sleeping Sunfish fleet on your lake! Your Dad would be proud. Sounds like a great deal and the green deck is my favorite.

The north woods in Michigan abounds with abandoned boats. In the woods, behind and in barns, garages etc. I picked up this 1957 Rebel for zero. I’ve also scored a Laser, a Tornado and a Sunfish.

Attachments

• 695E30BE-35EE-47BA-90FD-044AE342FE97.jpeg
    695E30BE-35EE-47BA-90FD-044AE342FE97.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 56
  • E46410F6-5F66-49AE-87A4-6CC13BE833BD.jpeg
    E46410F6-5F66-49AE-87A4-6CC13BE833BD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
Great story- that boat has been waiting for you for all these years… I do think you’ve awoken the sleeping Sunfish fleet on your lake! Your Dad would be proud. Sounds like a great deal and the green deck is my favorite.
Thank you Breeze Bender. I like to think I have revitalized the Big Portage Lake Sunfish enthusiasts here in Land O Lakes! The green deck is really cool and I plan on buying a matching green sail for it when I return next summer.

Last edited:
The north woods in Michigan abounds with abandoned boats. In the woods, behind and in barns, garages etc. I picked up this 1957 Rebel for zero. I’ve also scored a Laser, a Tornado and a Sunfish.
I always wonder what is in a ten mile radius. My friend Rick got his $200 Sunfish complete and ready to sail just a few docks down last summer.

Back