1976 Sunfish or AMFlite

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by wardie, Jun 22, 2016.

1. wardie

wardie Member

Just purchased A 1976 Sunfish from the original owner and it came with a Trailex Trailer for $300.
    No cubby hole in back and wooden coaming. Boat is in fantastic shape. Heck I thought the trailer was worth more than the entire purchase price. Even has little hook for main sheet..all original boat was surprised at no cubby and wooden coaming.

2. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Well, it is certainly not a 1976 Sunfish. It might not even be a Sunfish. You will have to post some pictures so we can see what it is.

3. wardie

wardie Member

it has a split wooden coaming and that little hook for main sheet?

The bridle is made from rope. Instead of two eyelets it has two holes drilled on the flange of each side of the deck. I am supposed to pay tomorrow and pick up but I definitely don't want it if it's a fake sunfish. The Trailex trailer os cool though. I wondered why no opening in the rear

4. JohnCT

JohnCT Active Member

Yeah, I'm on the pictures needed here side.

Holes drilled in the flange for the bridle? If I'm not mistaken, '76 should still have aluminum edging.
    Wood coaming?
    Definitely not stock

5. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Minifish?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  6. wardie

wardie Member

tHE WOODEN COAMING/SPLASH GUARD IS SPLIT IN TWO HALVES RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. THE DRAIN IS LOCATED ON STARBOARD SIDE AND THE COCKPIT DRAIN IS IN THE REAR PORT SIDE OF COCKPIT. aLL BRASS COCKPIT DRAIN?

i'LL ASK FOR SERIAl numbers

7. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Minifish is shorter than Sunfish. No cubby. Drilled holes for the bridle with it just knotted under the lip on each side.
    This matches the description so far...

But the combing is molded into the upper deck Just vinyl stickers for the wood look.
    Mini cockpit drain is center front of the cockpit.
    Hull drain in the deck port side.

I'd expect wood dagger board and rudder for a Mini.

Mast and booms are shorter and the sail is smaller than Sunfish, but some people put full size sunfish mast/boom/sail sets on them.
    OEM Minifish sail will have a small fish superimposed on the normal Sunfish logo.

8. beldar boathead

Given what you say about the traveler/bridle, this could be a Windflite or an AMFlite, which were made by Alcort and AMF as discount versions of the Sunfish. They had the rolled deck edge, but I thought they did not have a bailer in the cockpit, but I could be wrong. So if that is what it is, it is not necessarily a bad thing, it just cannot be raced with Sunfish, but the parts are interchangeable. BB

9. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Read up on Trailex trailers here; even new, not everyone is happy with them. :(

You're right to want a genuine Sunfish, but I'd buy it anyway—just for the trailer. You can always sell a complete, but nice, fake Sunfish in nice condition for $300 without the trailer. Purchase a genuine Sunfish and swap the interchangeable parts to your liking. :cool:

I race against a neighbor's Windflite every season. He's not very skilled, so I beat him every season—but to be fair, I should carry a passenger, like he does. :p

10. wardie

wardie Member

Here is the HIN on the boat I am buying AMF 38380M76F

okay what is it??

11. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Model Year Format
    AMF 59483 M 84 G
    Manufacturer: AMF Alcort
    Hull Number: 59483
    M = Model Year Format
    Model Year: 84
    Month of Production: G (Feb)

Production Month Letter Codes:
    A = August; B=September; C=October; D=December; F=January; G=February; H=March; I=April; J=May; K=June; L=July

Looks like a Feb 1976 sunfish code...

But...

My Minifish is AMF34493M78B
    Which also looks like a Sunfish code, but isn't.
    1978 Minifish made in September

We can confirm your boat's age and that AMF made it....

Measure the HULL from nose to tail and width at widest point.

Take a picture that shows the mast step to back of cockpit.

12. wardie

wardie Member

Ok the ad said it was a Sunfish this is a Mini Fish big difference. My club doesn't race Mini Fish. The boat is in very good shape and the Trailex Aluminum trailer clean I am supposed to pay him $300 tomorrow. I 'd like to get the trailer and I think someone might give me $300 for the Mini Fish. How desirable are they? I just don't want to get stuck with a Mini Fish that at 250 lbs. put me close to weight limit. Thoughts anyone??

13. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Minifish is an "odd duck"

Mainly useful for training new people how to sail. Good little boat but not enough out there for a racing class.

Probably mine will end up donated to the local HS sailing program.

Yes, if you find someone who wants it, it can sell and its worth more than $300.... But you have to find the right buyer.

14. wardie

wardie Member

I ended up backing out of the deal citing that even though listed as a Sunfish it isn't. My club races Sunfish no class for Mini Fish..it would be a Odd Duck if you will. Hated not to have the Trailex Trailer.

15. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

For future Minifish discussions it is great for kids and very small adults. The hull weighs 89 pounds but it is still too heavy for the Skipper to move it herself. Your knees will be under your chin, and the boat sails about the same as the Sunfish. I did sell a few because the buyers wanted something they could car top, so if they are happy lifting it and sitting in it, then it is a great option.

16. wardie

wardie Member

Ok I ended up buying the boat. I listed the AMF number in an earlier post. After searching on the forum and measuring the boat (13'9") I think I have an AMF Windflite? Here's some pics anyone know for sure? I read that the hull exact to a Sunfish and all halyards and sheets same in fact can run in Sunfish class but was sold through Sears?

Attached Files:

17. beldar boathead

That is what it looks like. It is not legal for sunfish racing but at the club level it would probably be fine.

18. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

A confirmation could be found on the sail. If the sail hasn't been replaced with a Sunfish-type "fishy" logo, the logo for Windflite is very different. I'm thinking there are actually two different logos, but they share the common theme of one (or two) triangles.

From a distance, the logo is unintelligible—a triangle with a line across it. :confused: ???
    [​IMG]
    From a distance, there is harmony! :) ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

19. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

If nothing else you can sell the Windflight for at least the $300, maybe more, then keep the trailer and look for another Sunfish.

20. wardie

wardie Member

Ok trying to mount a Hexarachet block for Main Sheet. The area behind the daggerboard slot doesn't look wide enough to mount the block and unlike a Sunfish the cockpit isn't open so you could put bolts through? Do I glass a wooden block then mount spring eye shackle to it? I just am not sure what to do?

Attached Files: