Will FJ fit in back of pickup truck?

Short answer, yes. I have hauled Sunfish and Laser's in the back of my trucks (short bed Ford and Ram) with the use of a tailgate extender. The only problem I can see trying to do this with an FJ is the weight issue. Sunfish and Laser's are around 125 - 130 lbs. hull weight but if I remember correctly the FJ's are more like 200 lbs. plus. That would be a job for more than two people. You will also need to check the FJ's hull for problems with the bailer or centerboard (protrusions) that might be damaged. I really think in the long run a decent trailer would probably be necessary to avoid personal / boat injury. Good luck!

Short answer, yes. I have hauled Sunfish and Laser's in the back of my trucks (short bed Ford and Ram) with the use of a tailgate extender. The only problem I can see trying to do this with an FJ is the weight issue. Sunfish and Laser's are around 125 - 130 lbs. hull weight but if I remember correctly the FJ's are more like 200 lbs. plus. That would be a job for more than two people. You will also need to check the FJ's hull for problems with the bailer or centerboard (protrusions) that might be damaged. I really think in the long run a decent trailer would probably be necessary to avoid personal / boat injury. Good luck!
Thanks, you make several good points and then the problem with transporting the mast in the truck. I took your advice and got a trailer yesterday, made my life much easier.

I use a CB dolly to load transom first my Sunfish into my S10. I use rope hooks on the box sides to a plank stuck into the CB slot. Gate down, plastic bed liner. No problems even with long haul. Use a flag on the bow.

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Back