Which brand of training sail to choose?

Jeroen

Hi Guys,

I have been sailing regatta's with catamarans (F18), but it looks like this season I have to sail alone (family expansion). As I like to be on the water during the summer I have bought and old laser and am looking whatto do with it?
As I have a limited butget I am looking at the following options.

1. Buy new official class sail.
2. Buy tainer sail + Holt XD sets to upgrade the boat.

Please tell me what you would choose?:confused:
And if option 2 what brand of trainer sail is good or at least equal to the official class sail?
(I don't like a chinese wrong cut sail;)).

Anyway I hope you experienced guys can help me out with this.

Have a good one.

Jeroen

may the wind be with you.:eek:

When I bought my 20 yr old boat I elected option 2.
No regrets - I did eventually buy a used class legal sail for the odd time I sail in a real no kidding we'll toss you if you aren't legal regatta (once so far)

Mike

ps I bought the intensity sail (2 in 3 years)

I would also go for the Intensity as it is made of a heavier weight cloth that most of the rest of the replicas and is more durable.

I would also choose the Harken Vang over the Holt vang (it really is worth the extra ££'s). I have one of each as I have 2 different rigs. The Holt one seriously annoys me when i sail, but I do not use that rig much so I live with it....

That's right. forgot to tell that I have no intention to sail any official class legal regatta's.
Just playing around and the occasional club regatta for fun.
However playing around means sailing with some other lasers sailors friends, will end up in some kind of compitition.

Paul, what is really the trouble with the Holt or why do you prefer the Harken system?

Hi Mike,

it 30 years old however not abused and very solid.
Friend of my will repair the wear on the mast foot and I am ready to go.

BR
Jeroen

I got myself a standard sail from Insails, very cheap, very good quality supplied with tell-tales already fitted and a full length sail bag for £140 +£10 postage.......bargain !

Nigel

Paul, what is really the trouble with the Holt or why do you prefer the Harken system?

The trouble with Holt is the look fo the thing for starters....to me it looks home made.

Then you come on the use of it, the rope do not flow smoothly, it has a tendancy to twist and come uncleated at the most annoying moments.

The Harken however does look the part, the blocks are off set by 90 degrees (which effectively eliminates any twisting) and the rope flow better through it allowing much better control in the light stuff.

That and my preference is for Harken! I have heard stories of the Holt ones breaking (there is a lot of plastic in them) but I have not sitnessed it. Most people at my club who bought the Holt ones are changing them for Harken as and when they can...

Just my 2p, I am sure there is someone out there who loves the Holt system.....

Back