where to start...

Graphix

hey everyone...
well, im interested in getting into sailing, ive been out just a few times on sunfish and once on laser. right now im living just south of ft lauderdale. i was wondering what the best way to get into sailing would be. i think thats really it for now, im sure more questions would pop up.
thanks
Brendan

I'd say join a club with a Laser fleet and start racing as soon as you're comfortable in the boat. My Dad used to say that the fastest way to learn how to sail well is to race at the club level because the guys who know what they are doing are right in front of you. Just do what they are doing. Also at the club level, people will cut you some slack as far as rules and racing stuff goes. Get the racers to help you buy your boat. You don't need anything fancy; just a solid boat with some decent gear.
I'm sure someone from your area will reply soon. They'll give you the skinny on fleets nearby.

Graphix said:
. i was wondering what the best way to get into sailing would be. Brendan

Yeah, find a nearby club and see if they offer lessons if you haven't skippered much. Then after you've got a little boat handling under your belt, buy an older Laser and start sailing and racing it at your club. The experienced sailors likely will help you out. There are also books and videos to supplement that for self coaching. If it continues to "float your boat" you can sell the old Laser and move up to a nicer model. At least that's what they tell me is the way you are supposed to do it. I started off with a brand new Laser, then learned to sail. I haven't regretted it.

Merrily

East coast of Florida? It is going to be hard to find anybody around there who knows anything about Lasers but you might try to find:

Augie Diaz, Tom Lihan and Dick Tillman

Call around the local clubs.

Ask a local laser dealer where the bigger racing fleets are.

Call the sailors in the fleet.

Any halfway decent fleet will be all over you to get you to join. Many clubs will have a program whereby you can pay $ and sail with the fleet for a season or two without joining the club. When you find one that acts encouraging towards you, start sailing with them.

In the end, it's all about the people.

Brendan-

As others have said, you want to try and meet up with a couple people who enjoy sailing.

It isn't super hard to get into it on your own, but with a little support group, you'll advance up the learning curve much faster.

Go to the local club, and find out if they have a fleet. If they do, they'll have a listserve. Join that, introduce yourself and go check out an event, meeting the people.

From then on, they'll help you get into the right boat, supply advice and encouragement.

hey everyone, thanks for the messages. Im 21(i know, starting alittle late it seems compared to alot of sailors) living here till april then i go back to upstate NY. where id have to say there are lots of nice likes to be sailed. If i had a boat ona trailer i could easily travel to lake george on weekends, saratoga lake during the week.

I started to look for clubs but ill i found were some things that didnt seem to be what i was looking for. anyone have a list of clubs, or know of any in this area?

thanks
Brendan

gouvernail said:
East coast of Florida? It is going to be hard to find anybody around there who knows anything about Lasers but you might try to find:

Augie Diaz, Tom Lihan and Dick Tillman
are you serious i live on the east coast of florida and there are plenty of clubs like the palm beach sailing, coconut grove, melbourne yacht club, united states sailing center of martin county, and ft. lauderdale yacht club who all have laser sailors. im insulted. just kidding, yah i know augie diaz sail with tom lihans daughter and and dick tillman lives about 45 minutes away from me. but you might be thinkin more northern florida im talkin more southern east florida.

hey thanks man, ill look into those, i guess the first few i checked were hte ones that were right near me (i just used google local) and i checked what websites i could. the ones i found didnt seem to be the right thing, ill look into the ones you mentioned.
thanks
Brendan

yah if yo can do it i highly suggest palm beach sailing club because they are a group of extremely nice people and its super easy to get there. and if you wanna hear a little about east coast florida sailing check out ( i think its the last article) the article in the new lasor sailor magazine about the treasure coast laser sailor.

Back