What's inside the hull that can go thunk?

Merrily

Administrator
I had a Laser disaster yesterday as detailed in the last two posts of http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3493.

To make a long story short, a rogue wind blew boat and dolly off our low Laser dock at my club. We caught said items about half in and half out of the water. There's a hole in the boat, either from falling on the dolly or the cleats on the dock, but that's not what concerns me right now. We moved the boat a few minutes ago to get it out of an upcoming storm, and when we tilted it on its side, something inside fell and went thunk. It felt and sounded substantial, but it didn't sound like wood. Could the flotation sound like that if it had taken on some water and detached? How is it attached in there?

When I get a chance, I'll get some pictures of the inside as best I can. There's one inspection port next to the centerboard.

Bummer. Try and find the thing that's going clunk. It should be easy to tell from there.

Too bad you aren't closer. You could just bring it down to my shop (I've got 5 Lasers in there now) and could have it ready for you to partake in our Flat Water Freeze-Out Laser Regatta on April 29. Yes this is a shameless plug.

Good luck with the repair,
snipeguy

Hi,

Awe come on Janet, tilt and twist til it thunks near your port, then REACH In there. More than likely, it won't bite you.

It's probably a misc. hunk of foam from final assembly. Or maybe that can of beer you stuck in there last July, or the sunblock, make-up mirror.... Or maybe the squirrels found you, and left a treasure trove of acorns, etc. ;-)

Good luck on the patch. Go for it, as it's just life, for a boat owner. And if it turns out really ugly? Well, then the next port tacker that wants to cross will pay more attention.

Al

vtgent49 said:
Hi,

Awe come on Janet, tilt and twist til it thunks near your port, then REACH In there. More than likely, it won't bite you.

It's probably a misc. hunk of foam from final assembly. Or maybe that can of beer you stuck in there last July, or the sunblock, make-up mirror.... Or maybe the squirrels found you, and left a treasure trove of acorns, etc. ;-)

Good luck on the patch. Go for it, as it's just life, for a boat owner. And if it turns out really ugly? Well, then the next port tacker that wants to cross will pay more attention.

Al

Al, I'm going to kill you!

But I will do as you say after the storm. There's no room in the garage right now to lay the boat flat with 2 Lasers, a Thistle, and a motorcycle. If there's any make-up mirrors in there, they are from the last guy who owned the boat.

OK I confess... A few years ago, I had this briliant idea on saturday night during the Easter Laser Regatta to hide chocolate eggs inside all the boats with ports.

Some of the sailors found the eggs many years later.

Now that you have found yours...You can consider it a special invitation.

By the way...The choice:

Sailing in Austin

or

lurking in a cold garage in Ohio.

gouvernail said:
OK I confess... A few years ago, I had this briliant idea on saturday night during the Easter Laser Regatta to hide chocolate eggs inside all the boats with ports.
Some of the sailors found the eggs many years later.
Now that you have found yours...You can consider it a special invitation.
By the way...The choice:
Sailing in Austin
or
lurking in a cold garage in Ohio.

That is a very sweet invitation, Gouvernail!

I would consider it, but we've decided that this is our best opportunity schedule-wise to go get the powerboat that we store in Florida in the winter. So that's where we will be lurking. No Ohio garages for this sailor!

I do hope that you have a great turn out.

And I'm really going to freak if there's a chocolate egg in that hull.

Back