What to do to prepare my boat for summer storage?

ChalmersP

Well as school ends so does laser racing in Florida! So its just about time to pack up all of my stuff for the summer. What thigs do I need to doto keep my boat pretty and clean, it will be sitting on a dolly all summer with only a top cover, it will be exposed to alot of sun so should I put a bottom cover on also? And should I remove my spars from the heat? will that make any difference?

Thanks
ChalmersP

Re: What to do to prepare for the summer?

when my boat is not being used, its ALWAYS covered, bottom and top, you should do the same!

spars is up to you, I don't think it makes a difference. Millions of sections are stored outside.

Keep it all covered up, spars too as they will be exposed to the salt air all summer. If you can fit them on your deck under the top cover you'll be good to go!

i think you should put it inside, like a garage or something

it just seems like leaving it outside fully covered in the sun would be bad for it, the heat trapped inside and all...

i think you should put it inside, like a garage or something

it just seems like leaving it outside fully covered in the sun would be bad for it, the heat trapped inside and all...

Guessing you dont practice?

I have practice 3 days a week, than a regatta every weekend. I leave my boat at my house 200' from the YC, with the sail rolled, vang, cunningham on (top cover on of course) , but make sure you take the blades out. I have lost quite a few due to the how temps under the covers, and the material of the daggerboard. The trailing edge WILL warp.

Well I really miss sailing but over the summer I work as an instructor at our sailing camp, only when its windy do I go out because no one else will! Ive thought of bringing my boat home, 2 miles away, but my mom doesnt like that idea! Ill do my best to get a spot in the shade and take my spars off along with putting my bottom cover on!

Thanks for the help
ChalmersP

Not the answer you're looking for but after getting your boat in the best condition you can afford (in terms of time/money), get yourself in shape. Looking back, had I spent the HOURS researching how to shave a few ounces off my boat through doing situps and leg excercises I would have been much better off at the end of regattas. As you're still in school, my guess is you're probably not interested/able to drop hundreds on the latest carbon tillers...besides, the weight savings between a $200 set and a $50 set is to me more psychological than anything unless you're at the highest levels...hitting the head before a race saves more weight!

Take this with a big grain of salt as I get crushed in light air regattas. Enjoy your summer!

Not the answer you're looking for but after getting your boat in the best condition you can afford (in terms of time/money), get yourself in shape. Looking back, had I spent the HOURS researching how to shave a few ounces off my boat through doing situps and leg excercises I would have been much better off at the end of regattas. As you're still in school, my guess is you're probably not interested/able to drop hundreds on the latest carbon tillers...besides, the weight savings between a $200 set and a $50 set is to me more psychological than anything unless you're at the highest levels...hitting the head before a race saves more weight!

Take this with a big grain of salt as I get crushed in light air regattas. Enjoy your summer!

I guess I mislead all of you, this is'nt "my" boat, the way my club works is if you work hard you get better stuff, so I have all the upgrades, including an chartered 2007 laser, and it only costs me 200 dollars per year! If you want to learn more about my club go to goesc.org

Back