What sail to use?

torrid

Just sailing
When it comes to radial vs. full-size, I'm kind of caught in between at 150 lbs. I can sail a full-size fine in lighter air, but I definitely appreciate the cut-down sail in a breeze.

There is going to be a major regatta nearby next year, and I've already made the decision to sail it in the radial. Over a period of several days there are bound to be some windy races.

My question is when I go out to practice should I use the radial sail exclusively, or should I still sail with a full-size sail when the breeze is light? I'm leaning towards sailing with the radial exclusively as there are differences in boat-handling and sail trim with the radial, and there are also bound to be light air races too.

Any comments?

the full rig would deffinitly be becificial to get more chances to work on hiking, but most of the time you shoudl work on sailing the boat you race, especially work on teh radial in light wind as its gonna be a bit trickier to sail in the lighter winds and your gonna wanna have that practice, so when yu get to the regatta your not lost on a light day

sail the radial, the radial sail and full rig sail are very different in the way they behave while sailing, ive just stepped up to a full rig from a radial and im still getting used to the shallower full rig sail

Hello Torrid,
I don't know where your weight is going in the future, but if your young and haven't filled out yet... I'd stay with the full rig if it is going to go up. Also in light and medium winds while your filling out you'll be fast with good boat handling skills.
If your weight is going to remain steady at 150 lbs. Then the Radial rig would be the way to go I'd think.
Last thought is which fleet has better competition in your area, the most sailors/events and sail that rig.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/178894

P.S. For that major regatta next year... Sail the radial full time till then.

Back