What is a Super Sunfish?

amyeisin

I have been looking for a Sunfish to purchase and I just found one. Its a Super Sunfish. What is that? How is it different than a regular Sunfish? It is a 1976 AMF model, and in really good condition. I just want to know what I am buying. Any input?

It was many of the attempts by the Sunfish manufacturer to make a Sunfish more like a Laser. Since then they have "improved" the sail and the daggerboard and in the process made every unimproved boat uncompetitive. Now there is a bunch of crazies trying to "improve" the rudder.

Take my advice. Either buy a Sunfish and suffer with its inadequacies. Or if you want a real boat, buy a Laser.

The 'Super' rig was developed some thirty years ago to make the Sunfish faster and/or sportier. Whereas it may have been faster compared to a seventies Sunfish, it's not when compared to a nineties and beyond Sunfish because of various upgrades to the standard boat (racing sail, longer daggerboard and other, more minor, adjustments).
The 'Super' rig consists of a two-piece (black) mast, a (black) boom and a white sail (with window). I believe that a few colored sails were sold as well. There should be a traveler (tube) for the sheeting system in the front of the cockpit. The sail has a sleeve for the mast, and it is raised with a halyard. In addition, there is a boomvang and control lines for the outhaul and Cunningham. The coaming should have two camcleats on each side to hold these lines and the bottom mast should have a ring attached to it.

It's important to make sure that all the 'Super' pieces are there. This rig has been out of production for a long time, and replacement parts are hard to come by.
One of the main attractions is that one can sail the boat with the regular (lateen) rig as well.

Back