what do I need to race?

Josh Rubin

I am looking to get back into Sunfish class and be competitive. Should I buy a new boat or used, are the newer boats faster than the older? Any gear that I will need? Thanks.

Light, fair boats are better than heavier ones. Newer is often better than older mainly in that by the time you get an older boat to be fully competitive it can cost a grand or more, so you may as well get one with new equipment. That said, you can be pleasantly surprised by the performance of a 60's boat when competitively equipped. But for the most part, for serious racing the money is often best spent on a race-ready boat, old or (most likely) 'new', as in SLI, Vanguard, or newer.

A hint here - if you hang out with racers you will often get leads on older race-ready boats for sale. In our club we'll make sure that any new member who want to race will be set up competitively, at very affordable (if any) cost. Racers want to see more racers, so they will make it happen for you. In other words, hang out with your local fleet, and good things will likely happen.

But down to details --
- You want a fair, light, relatively stiff hull - no surprise there;
- First off, make sure you have, or get, a mainsheet block, like a Harken;
- Next, properly install a hiking strap - no kidding
- Third, have a post-72 rudder, and put on a proper extension - not the stick of wood.
- Fourth, get a modern racing daggerboard. Most clubs won't care if you have an Intensity one, but for Regional events you still need the pricey class- legal one. There will be narry a single wooden board in a Regional fleet.
- Fifth, get a North racing sail. Some clubs are coming around to Intensity, ala Lasers, but until then you will want a North until that trend takes hold.
- Read the Scott Kyle Race Tuning Guide for the rest of the refinements.
- Join the Class!! And get your proper sail numbers!!

Go to events. Soon enough you will want a proper dolly.
But first, find some other racers...

Almost forgot- get a proper PFD. Racing events require them, and many race committees require that they be worn, so get a comfortable, non- bulky one.

Reactions: tag

Back