Water in Cockpit

Dbarder

Hi All. I just purchased a 89' Laser, and have sailed it a few times already. I have noticed that when the cockpit fills with water, due to waves, the auto-bailer doesn't work and the water doesn't drain. However, when I take the boat out of the water, the water will drain through the auto-bailer. Would anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks for any advice.

The autobailer isn't the most efficient design, but it does work as long as you are moving fast enough. It will not keep up with the amount of water coming in wave after wave, but it will handle the occasional wave, so it's key to learn about weight placement and steering around, not thru waves..

There are a couple of things to check to make sure it's working as well as it can - to do so requires removing it from the hull. There are lots of threads here already that will give you all that info, but to summarize, you want to make sure the wedge is opening correctly, the rubber "springs" are not broken and that the bailer itself is "glued" down on the perimeter. In heavy air/big waves you should take the rubber stopper (cockpit drain plug) off too..

I take the stopper off as I ALWAYS kick it closed in big waves and breeze. I actually still kick the brass stopper pull and bend it all up even with the stopper removed. I have to straighten it out with a pair of plyers after the race. My big feet just can't stay away from the back of the boat.

Re - kicking the plunger closed..

Piece of duct tape on top of the plunger (it's legal now), holding it down right on the cockpit floor will pretty much stop it from getting caught on your foot. I had the same problem until I started taping it down..

Simply lift up your bow a bit and the water will drain out>>>

Like this

Really

it is

simple

to do>>

laser%20for%20NZ%20ad.jpg

Back