Video: Green Hills, Cumulus Clouds, Perfect Winds

andyatos

On Saturday, May 6th I scored a memorable day of sailing. Below are some details and video footage I shot during the 4+ hour long trip.

A few days before Saturday I began to see a short window emerging between more rain and very strong, post frontal, northwest winds on the Sonoma county coast. I got everything ready the day before and found myself pulling into the Jenner boat ramp parking lot at 7:30 AM… with it still raining. :oops:

But everything I had been watching online the day before and that morning told me it was going to start clearing. I sat in the truck for 30 minutes watching a cell on the radar on my phone moving quickly to the northeast, dumping rain on my area as it passed overhead.

And then the rain abruptly stopped and I began to see bits of sun poking through the high fog layer. I got out of the truck, took a few photos and immediately began to rig The Betty. I pushed off the beach a little before 10 AM into the start of the sea breeze and was treated to truly beautiful conditions during a coming tide on the Russian River. :)

Here's the video.

Cheers,

- Andy

On Saturday, May 6th I scored a memorable day of sailing. Below are some details and video footage I shot during the 4+ hour long trip.

A few days before Saturday I began to see a short window emerging between more rain and very strong, post frontal, northwest winds on the Sonoma county coast. I got everything ready the day before and found myself pulling into the Jenner boat ramp parking lot at 7:30 AM… with it still raining. :oops:

But everything I had been watching online the day before and that morning told me it was going to start clearing. I sat in the truck for 30 minutes watching a cell on the radar on my phone moving quickly to the northeast, dumping rain on my area as it passed overhead.

And then the rain abruptly stopped and I began to see bits of sun poking through the high fog layer. I got out of the truck, took a few photos and immediately began to rig The Betty. I pushed off the beach a little before 10 AM into the start of the sea breeze and was treated to truly beautiful conditions during a coming tide on the Russian River. :)

Here's the video.

Cheers,

- Andy

Here's the video.

Cheers,

- Andy
Hey Andy, good to see you sailing away. My nephew Max is here and took the Sunfish out in some gusty wind yesterday evening. I was over at Rick and Diane's sitting around the fire pit. We saw Max turtle and he had trouble getting the boat righted. I grabbed Rick's kayak, went out there and jumped in. I swam under the boat and pushed the dagger board all the way in to get more leverage, then grabbed it and popped the boat back up, jumped in and sailed it home. Always an adventure here in Land O Lakes! Hope to sail upon my return.

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_172930.jpg
    IMG_20220714_172930.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hey Andy, good to see you sailing away. My nephew Max is here and took the Sunfish out in some gusty wind yesterday evening. I was over at Rick and Diane's sitting around the fire pit. We saw Max turtle and he had trouble getting the boat righted. I grabbed Rick's kayak, went out there and jumped in. I swam under the boat and pushed the dagger board all the way in to get more leverage, then grabbed it and popped the boat back up, jumped in and sailed it home. Always an adventure here in Land O Lakes! Hope to sail upon my return.
That must have been a great learning experience for Max. He got to see you do the complete recovery. Wisconsin Sunfish Whisperer (WSW) indeed! :cool:

- Andy

That must have been a great learning experience for Max. He got to see you do the complete recovery. Wisconsin Sunfish Whisperer (WSW) indeed! :cool:

- Andy
Ahh, WSW, maybe the name for my new, green, '69 Sunfish. Rick and I put the blind patch and the exterior patch is done too. Tomorrow, we sand and gelcoat, then buff out the deck, put the new sail on and hit the lake.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_141602.jpg
    IMG_20230624_141602.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 65

Back