Vertical Creases

ben661

I have been sailing the Laser Radial since March this year and have recently been sailing up to 5 days a week, which must be bad for my sail. However, vertical creases have begun to appear on my sail from the head, to the forward ends of the batten pockets in a direction down the sail. I am not sure is this is to do with excessive vang tension or whether my sail has worn out. It also seems that the roach of the sail is sometimes deflected forward on light reaches and only goes back to normal when I ease the vang to less than I would consider ideal. Overall the sail does not seem to be setting well. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what causes it? Thanks

I'm no radial sailor, but a sure sign of excessive vang tension would be a spreading of the fibers near the inboard ends of the batten pockets. If the material of the sail looks as if it is being streched, too much tension. Another area to check would be the forward grommet where the cunningham is rigged, this could be the cause of excessive strain in the forward part of the sail. However I highly doubt this is the problem, and honeslty it could be anything from rolling/folding the sail wrong, to just getting a "lemon" of a sail from the loft. In my past eight years of sailing Lasers, I have always used the same practice sail, and I would sail seven times a week during the summer, and have never had a problem such as you have described. Somebody from the Masters division may want to help with this one...

I remember seeing in a book that it means that the sail is just old from use. You may need just to get a new sail.

U Probrobly need more cunningham, the mast bend may not look right in heavy breeze but its very fast. Light breeze u dont want any because the whole point of Cunningham is depowering.

ben661 said:
I have been sailing the Laser Radial since March this year and have recently been sailing up to 5 days a week, which must be bad for my sail. ...
Your sail is worn out, I think.
Ciao
LooserLu

Back