Transporting a Laser

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by psychonurse91325, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sailchris

sailchris Member

Obviously you should tie a large flat object like a Laser to more than just the racks themselves. You refer to the pullout strength of the factory racks, I was referring to the strength of the roof itself where the racks are attached, which is what I think the weight capacity means. The factory racks are often attached to the roof a short distance inside the edge of the roof. This means that they rely on the strength of the roof itself to support the weight. Aftermarket racks that attach directly to the car (and not to the existing racks) usually attach to the rain gutters or to a dedicated attachment point. The weight applied to aftermarket racks is carried by the sides of the car itself, which is why aftermarket racks have higher weight capacities.

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Not sure what minivans you've looked at, but I can't recall seeing any with raingutters- just the full size vans.

I can tell you that the Thule racks with towers and feet that I have in my mini-van place the load in exactly the same location as the factor racks due - on the channel of the roof. I recall looking at at least 3 or 4 others as well, and all of them also place the load in the channel that the factory rack uses..

3. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

In most cases isnt it cheaper just to by a trailer, itl save you a lot of time!