Spray rail ripped from hull, need repair advice

jmiller314

Hi,

I bought a Sunfish used for the first time last season, and unfortunately it was washed down the beach because of high water levels and the spray rail was ripped from the hull. Upon removing it, I noticed it was attached with some brass anchors; a few of the anchors are still in the hull but most of them pulled out and were attached to the screws. The holes are about 1/2 inch in diameter. I am looking for some advice on how to repair it, perhaps to reseat the anchors or any other suggestions, this is my first time owning a sunfish. I've attached some pictures of the damage. Let me know if any additional information is needed, and thank you in advance!

-Jeremy
IMG_20200815_122356.jpg

IMG_20200815_122347.jpg

IMG_20200815_122350.jpg

Why didn't the factory just use double-sided tape to attach these to the deck? ;)

But seriously, this is a fairly common repair among Sunfish. One of my present five Sunfish was repaired twice! (Pre-owned by a neighbor with kids).

Since the underside is cupped, you have several alternatives. Start with "Search", and this will get you started:

Last edited:

Back