Sailing in oil--America's problem

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by Matt B, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Re: More on Sailing and BP...

Just for the record the boat is worth around £200 000 and he owns it jointly with others (others being plural - i.e. more than one other).

None of the US papers seem to have noticed that the boat is competing in Cork Week in a few days time :rolleyes:

Ian

2. Trueke

Trueke New Member

Re: More on Sailing and BP...

Man, then being part owner of that Farr 52 seems like a bad investment when instead he could be part of a great entrepreneurial opportunity here in the US if he and his friends decide to invest on all those independently owned fishing boats for sale in the gulf coast. I mean they could corner the market after the clean up :D

3. Matt B

Matt B Member

count the damage caused by disasters caused by american companies in GBR and then count the damage caused by great british companies in america then if you find what i found you will start to think that america should keep shtum before GBR decides well actually we should be the ones claming.

4. Scott B

Scott B Member

Not to get too political -

Unlike what the media is apparently reporting, only small portion of Americans are making claims against BP. Most of us over here like you Brits.

However, inflammatory, inaccurate statements like that will change people's mind.

Remember, this isn't SA...

5. Royal

Royal New Member

Good comment, I fall into this category. I am just disappointed that we would have to point this out.

I still don't see any "US Politicians" blaming GBR because BP has the word "British" in it. :confused:

[edited to add:] ...Since BP is a private company, any claims against GBR would be ridiculous - and I haven't heard of any. But for the same reason, claims against BP shouldn't be misconstrued as American disdain for GBR. What troubles me the most is the anti-US sentiment from British journalists and readers in response to a US tragedy that didn't directly affect Brits. Frankly, I just don't understand where anyone gets the impression that we, US citizens, are blaming anyone but the private party who admitted responsibility for the incident, and our own faulty response efforts.

I'm not saying that anyone's feelings are wrong, I just don't understand the long-distance vitriol.

6. Matt B

Matt B Member

i think the media is selling us two different stories here because what we are being told is that the american government wants to sue the british goverment and bp for what has happerned.
    the media is also telling us that bp and the government is being blamed for evereything.
    if the media is telling two different stories one to us and one to you about this then what are they saying about the war in afganistan.

7. Scott B

Scott B Member

It seems the media is feeding very different information than they are feeding us...:mad:

8. raubvogel

raubvogel New Member

I can live with media giving us different spins of the same news instead of just one official version. Truth is a three edge sword after all.