Sail ripped

Recently while sailing i pulled on some cunningham and the piece of fabric that prevents the mast from going through the sleeve ripped out. Do i need to send it to a sail loft (I live in the praries so it would be a touch inconvienent) or can i just sew it myself.

Hi Eric,
when we now let the question by side if it is classlegal: My answer is "yes".
Go to your local home store and get a little piece of that flat white sort of "rope"'/line that you normally hold in your hands when you pull down "that piece at your windows at home to prevent the sunshine" (Sorry Eric, for my English, but my little dictionary has not the English word for "Jalousie"(<-french). If you can sew a bit and are careful, then take a bit sailing yarn and a sewing needle for sailing and put this new piece of white flat rope/line on the top of your sail. Good luck :)

Greetings from Europe + Bye-bye
LooserLu

Mullet Time! said:
Recently while sailing i pulled on some cunningham and the piece of fabric that prevents the mast from going through the sleeve ripped out. Do i need to send it to a sail loft (I live in the praries so it would be a touch inconvienent) or can i just sew it myself.

It sounds like you are talking about the webbing at the top of the sleeve ?
If the the stiching that holds the webbing to the sleeve let go, and there is no damage to the sleeve or the webbing, then you can handsew the webbing back on to the sleeve. For handsewing, you want to use the heaviest thread you can find (ordinary sewing thread is not strong enough) and a thick needle (you don't want it breaking as you push it thru the webbing and sail) - a pair of plies can come in handy too for pushing and pulling the needle thru the layers.

If the sleeve or webbing is damaged, you'll have to make the call if you can work with it and make a temporary repair or post a pic here of the damage and we can make additional suggestions

you can fix it yourself but that takes heaps of time and might not be done right and your run the risk of it breaking again so sending it to a sail maker and fixing it is the best option they know what to do and how to do it they spend years learning how to do it so trust them they are professional!!!!!!

Take it to a sail loft and they will fix it for you. Takes no time to do. I've had it happen before and I got the sail back after a day.

yes it is only the webbing at the top of the sail that ripped. I ended up taking it to a tent repair store and they sewed a new piece on no problem. Thanks for your help tho.

Back