rub rails

Mashmaster

We are almost done with the restoration of the vanguard sunfish hull that had major holes in it. We had to pull the rubber rail on the deck seam off, but I have never seen a rub rail like it before. Is this something someone added on as an aftermarket add-on or was it a factory thing? I am thinking about leaving it off, any reason to put it back on?

20190703_182054.jpg

I had to pull it off for do the gel coat repair on the bottom. hopefully that will get done soon. Was thinking if we should put it back on with caulk or not.

As others have pointed out, you want to leave this on because it protects the edges; especially the bow.
In past threads people have asked where to get this kind of 'rub rails'. APS sold a slightly different (white) version, but they are out of business :(

PS: I still have these rub rails on my two boats. Not all around, just the front area that is most likely to get bumped. I use (transparent Gorilla) tape to hold the rub rail in place so that I can take it off, if necessary.

Yes, reinstall the rub rail, it'll serve you well... and it beats knockin' yer shins against a hard glass hull, LOL. :confused:

Back