Ray Greene Rascal 14; information request

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by Rascal 14, Jun 11, 2011.

1. BillRayGreene14

BillRayGreene14 New Member

Here's a pic of my capacity plate. Keep in mind it's a rascal or rascal II. Hard to see in the pic but that's 5horse, 3 adults, and 425lbs.

Attached Files:

2. Ghagley-Rascal-14

Ghagley-Rascal-14 New Member

Thank you for the information. I will have a sticker made. I have a 3.5 HP on mine and it moved along pretty good with just me on board. I am surprised at the 425 weight limit, but this is about max I would ever want to put on her anyway.

I went on my first sea trials a few days ago and came back with a list of things to fix. I made my traveler removable because I found using the engine with the rudder installed gave me almost no control. I made a leash on the rudder so that when I am installing it out in open water it will be hooked to the boat. Loosing it at the bottom of the James river doesn't sound fun. The bungee cord in my rudder assembly way worn out and it allowed my blade to float up all the time. I replaced that with a heavy duty cord so hopefully no more issues with the board floating up. I installed a new pulley on the side of the mast to use as a topping lift and on the trailer it worked great. I also installed a new cleat on the forward side of the mast to hold the topping lift. Having the boom down in my way was a real pain. I replaced both my halyard lines because when hooked together they were about 3 inched short of the cleats. This meant I have to lashed them to the mast when transporting. They also kept getting tangled. The new longer ones allow me to cleat them to their respective cleats and they stay up out of the way.

I saw in a earlier post that one member shortened his tiller and added a extension. I am thinking of doing the same thing as the tiller reaches almost to the centerboard trunk.

As long as the weather holds I will have her out on the water again tomorrow. Happy sailing all.

3. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Nice boat! It's identical to mine (except for the color). I still have my specifications sticker on mine, but it's so faded I couldn't make anything out.
    Trying to figure out what that bracket is on yours but haven't a clue. Our boat didn't come with a topping lift but I can't see why you couldn't put one in. That's actually the next thing I plan on doing with mine. Did yours come with a spinnaker? Mine did, but it doesn't look like the original. I have the original whisker pole but haven't a clue how to use the darn thing.
    Let me know if you decide to throw in the lift. I'd be interested to know how you end up putting one in.
    Happy sailing
    Mike

4. Ghagley-Rascal-14

Mike I did end up putting the topping lift on. I found the pictured pulley at lowes and it works great. I also installed a cleat on the forward side of the mast, about the same height of the other cleats, to be able to adjust the topping lift. There was a hole above the pulley on my boom that I saw no other use for so I hooked the topping lift there with a spring clip. I used a regular cleat and ended up have the jib sheets catch on it several times. I would suggest putting the cleat higher on the mast or using a jam cleat the won't leave anything to catch the lines.

I went sailing today with this setup and couldn't be happier with the topping lift. I also made my traveler removable like yours and I hook both side of it to the stbd side when using the motor. This keeps the boom out of my way while coming in and out of port. I also ordered some mast guide stops so that I can hold the boom up about as high as it's sailing position. This will leave the deck completely open. I will usually be single handed sailing this boat so anything like this to make my life easier is worth it.

BillRayGreene answered above on the capacity. his is rated for 5HP 3 persons or 425 pounds. This seems pretty light to me but I guess they is how they are rated. Any more weight then that and it would be pretty sluggish in the water I would think.

My boat only came with a jib and main sail. I don't think the jib is original as it doesn't have the window in it. The jib also seems a bit small for the boat, but I still move along pretty good so I have no plans to change it. I would love to have a spinnaker too, but at this point I am a beginner and the two sails are plenty to handle.

I think one of my next projects will be to shorten the tiller and add a extension (push pole) to it. I was also going to try to use the push pole and a clamp mounted on the side of the boat to act as a rudder lock while I am working hoisting sails or anything else I need to do while letting go of the tiller.
    download.jpg

5. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Excellent!
    I did the same thing to my tiller last summer and it works great, although more often than not it tends to be more trouble than it's worth unless you're sitting hiked out on the gunwale. Putting in some kind of clamp to lock the tiller in place would be a GREAT idea. Trying to coax my wife to come sailing is like pulling teeth so I too often find myself on the water wondering... how the f%@ am I going to hoist the main, and the jib, yank the centerboard down and still hold onto the rudder before the wind blows me into shore?? ... and then the same thing in reverse as I'm coming in. But then you have a motor so you don't have to worry about that, do you? :)
    I've spoken with a couple people about modifying my jib for a small Harken roller furler. That would make things VERY nice when single-handing about on the lake, eh?
    As for my traveler, it's sort of hacked together right now. I'm thinking of making something up with 1/8" stainless cable that's clipped on both ends for easier removal. I've also toyed with the idea of putting in a pair of hiking straps but now that I have a laser, my need to go fast has been slightly mollified.
    Do you leave your topping lift on once you've raised the main? I was thinking if I had one I would just un-clip it and fasten it to the mast or something to have it ready for when I'm ready to lower it back down.
    Mike

6. Ghagley-Rascal-14

I left my topping lift attached to the boom and just loosed it so it didnt affect the sail. Mine is cleated on the mast so its pretty easy to do while hoisting the sails. I have seen topping lifts that had a cleat inline so the line only went from the mast top to the boom which means one less lime to tangle.

I considered trying to do a roller furling as well. Would make one less line on the deck to get tangled up in too.

My orginal traveler was a peice of 1/4 lime attached to the aft d rings. I replaced the line and added a spring clip on each end. I remove my rudder while out in the water for motoring so this also makes getting rudder on/off a lot easier.

The motor does make things nice. I drop the sails at the enterance to the channel which is about 1000 to 1500 feet from the ramps. All water near me is tidal so trying to row in would not be practical. I also have to come in around a breakwater which means two 90 degree turns in tight quarters.

Happy sailing
    George

7. hopscotch

hopscotch New Member

Just read your post and had to look at my rating tag...it's different. My Rascal is an older Ray Greene boat built in 1972. It's rated for a 3.5 HP motor, 5 people at 150#s each and a total capacity including motor at 970 lbs. We rarely have more than 2-3 people and a new but crummy Evinrude 1.75 hp motor (I would never buy a motor again that's hard to service and has a 360 deg swivell for reverse.

8. Ghagley-Rascal-14

Thank you for taking a look at the capacity tag. It is weird that the same hull form (I assume it didn't change) would have such drastic numbers. From what I read the earlier ones had a steel centerboard which would move the CG lower and allow a heaver load without worrying about balance. I would think throughout the years the numbers got more conservative to please the lawyers too. 2 adults or maybe an adult and two kids would be fine.

I put a 3.5 HP china made engine on mine. It pushes the boat and myself along pretty good. I would guess 4 to 6 knots. I have the 180 degree turn for reverse thing too and it can be hairy around the dock if you need to back up quick. Mine also idles high so the prop pretty much always spins which makes it fun.

I had about 900 lbs total (boat motor and people) on board once and I took on some water. I would guess all the weight pushed the transom down into the water and the drain plug let water in. I plan to fill the boat with some water and see if water comes out through the plug. The centerboard trunk looks to be integrated into the outer bull of the boat not leaving anywhere for a leak there.