Proper method for naming a boat?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by btsunfish, May 10, 2009.

1. minifish

minifish New Member

With that, I'd name it "Audacity". :D

It sounds like a girl's name, but she certainly has the audacity lol!

Edit: Screw that! That's what I'm naming my boat. She had the audacity to pull the deck cleat on her maiden voyage after restoration. Then she let go of an outhaul. Yep, she's "Audacity".

2. Courtenay

Courtenay New Member

I named mine "Beach Therapy" - a 20 minute ride to the local lake with my Sunfish is my substitute for the beach!

3. OldNJLaser

OldNJLaser Member

My grandfather named his old motor boat after his 3 children. The first 2 letters from each of their names. KaMaLo. I will follow in the naming process as soon as I have a boat big enough to name, CarBenDel-

Just call it "A Hole", in the water to throw money in to

4. Alan Glos

Alan Glos Active Member

My Pearson Sunfish was named "Shifts Happen" My current Sunfish is named "Blind Pig" (as in "If he roots around enough, even a blind pig will find an acorn now and then.") But my favorite racing boat name was in a J-24 named "Pit Bull on Crack."

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

5. Geophizz

Geophizz Member

The Sunfish is guaranteed to be unsinkable. There's only one other boat that came with that guarantee, and it's sitting on the bottom of the North Atlantic, so the name's available. So I named my boat "Titanic".

6. Fred P

Fred P Member

I named my boat after a granddaughter: she was thrilled and proud. Name it for someone or something you love and pass it on!

Fred

7. Neil of Lake Pocotopaug

Neil of Lake Pocotopaug New Member

I bought mine at a church tag sale after it was dragged out of an old barn that was threatened by Hurricane Irene. And, so, my first sailboat, my lovely Sunfish, is "Irene".

8. vtsailer

vtsailer Member

For a Sunfish, something like "No Payments" has always seemed appropriate. "Living Within My Means" seems too long.

• Like Like x 1
  9. emilikins

emilikins Maniac

Husband joked about naming our two fish "Banger & Mash" which might be cute as a pair, but do you really want to being seen sailing around on "Banger" or "Mash"? Might make people stay out of your way, I guess ...

10. baseman

baseman On the Water

Funny how this thread keeps popping up. When I picked up my Phantom it had HEATWAVE in three inch stick on your mailbox type letters on the aft deck. (I've played that song live and have grown tired of it). The name was the first thing to be removed when I started the cleanup process. I was going to name it Music of the Night, but that seemed to long. Anyway, now it only says Phantom on the starboard side, the port side letters have been removed because some of them were missing. Since I use a Sunfish sail with no logo, maybe I'll take the rest of the Phantom letters off. Then I'll have a completely anonomous boat. I was also thinking I could put a slogon (upside down of course) on th transom that says If You Can Read This Please Flip Me Over.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pat75

Pat75 Member

I just had an idea from the "No Problem" idea:

Paint the hull, daggerboard and rudder black and white so that it looks like a killer whale when it is upside down in the water, then name the boat "ORCA" or "Willy".

12. minifish2

minifish2 Active Member

If we are getting convoluted with names annyway, then maybe it depends on whether you are putting the name on the stern, or further forward on the sides.

If it's on the stern you might go with something like "Clear Ahead". On the sides and further forward, something like "Inside Overlap" might work. Then you just have to get other boats to start hailing you by name (hey, you're....!), or you can at least announce yourself in a crowd.

13. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

My new Sunfish is Old Shovelnose. She replaced Slowly Sideways

14. roccaas

roccaas Member

"Spalding, get your foot off the boat!"

"Judge Smails: It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat.
    [chuckles several times]
    Judge Smails: Okay, Pookie. Do the honors.

"I christen thee, "The Flying Wasp"

CRACK

[​IMG]