Newish sailor here - just bought Capri 14

city sailor

hey there, just want to say thanks to everyone's comments on this forum. it has helped me greatly so far with my recently purchased Capri 14 and davit.

i hope to post some pics and descriptions of mods and fixes here and there as i go. the boat is 1980 but is in truly immaculate condition, not sure if it's been restored or what.

i sailed for 3 summers in south carolina when i was young (like 10-13) and just now getting back into it; late 20s now. i live within biking distance to White Rock Lake in Dallas, TX and they have a pretty nice and laid-back little marina. sailboats have free reign on the lake as motors over 5 or 10hp arent allowed. so far it's been a lot of fun. coming back into the marina and docking...still going to take some work! im still a beginner.

among the fixes i plan to get on asap are:
- boat cover, probably going to go with the Sailor Tailor cockpit cover. i drive a sedan, dont have a trailor and dont want to undo the boom after each outing. though someday i may explore other area lakes.

- all new sheets (they've been baking in hot Texas sun, along w/ a rather wintery winter for us)

- either refurbish or buy a new tiller. this one feels like sandpaper and looks like petrified drift wood! i still just like holding the wood tiller part, not the extension golf club thing.

- i found the nifty centerboard mod on here, where its line was connected to the barney post. i find the wrap-around cleats to be slight annoying!

- an anchor. i'd like to be able throw down the anchor, have some beer/wine and cast a line to do some fishing as well.

- paint the name of the boat on the back and sides, would like to do it myself.

- i am also going to raise the boom level on the mast. it's very, very low almost to the point of simply being in the way. i noticed that the main sail still had at least 6 inches to reach the top of the mast.

- new foot straps. they are disintegrating!

i think that's it for now. if anyone cares to chime-in feel free. i am certainly committed to this and eventually trying to race. one day, i'd like to buy a 36-50 sailboat and do some major cruising in the oceans.

pull the main all the way to the top of the mast. that will raise the boom. I am 6' tall and have no problems with the boom height

Kent

Back