new rudder conversion

domr

Hello all. New to this.
Is there any sort of new style rudder that can be adapted to use the old style gudgeon?
It seems that the pintle pin can be easily removed and then a different (retractable) rudder positioned within the gudgeon (see attached photo), but I don't see this discussed or advertised anywhere online. All I see discussed are replacements that require creation of an access port and such.
I really need to have a retractable rudder... the fixed old style rudder is killing me at low tide! Thank you very much.
Thank you very much.
sunfish rudder assembly.jpg

I was under the impression that these bronze ones should release and reset with the long carriage bolt running through the upper and lower bracket and spring plate. Do I have this wrong?

They will pop out but not the easiest to reset on the water.

Do you have the plastic tube on the carriage bolt? That is a pretty good crack in the blade.

This is my newer old style rudder, that rudder head prevents the cracks that are common in the old style blades, and it has a newer style blade. I came across this on an older hull and immediately put it on my "66" hull.

Attachments

• IMG_20230418_163854.jpg
    IMG_20230418_163854.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230418_163903.jpg
    IMG_20230418_163903.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
just completed this conversion. My logic was that the split would likely be a repeat offender and refinishing the rudder periodically would be more hassle that replacing it with the newest style.
Be aware the conversion kit is finicky; otherwise I feel it was money well spent.
I posted my experience with pictures on the forum if you want to look it over.

just completed this conversion. My logic was that the split would likely be a repeat offender and refinishing the rudder periodically would be more hassle that replacing it with the newest style.
Be aware the conversion kit is finicky; otherwise I feel it was money well spent.
I posted my experience with pictures on the forum if you want to look it over.
Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy the experience of sailing with the conversion in place. Especially in higher winds, when the worn out brass on the old rudder seems most likely to let the rudder pop up unexpectedly, dumping you into the drink.

Back