New ISAF ILCA Plaque

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by jeffers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

From Australian perspective, you would be lucky to be able to put together a national fleet of 20 boats in any of the existing Olympic classes, other than the Laser. No one here sails 470's, Finns, RS:X and 49's unless they are doing an Olympic campaign. Whilst it appears Stars have been dropped, there would be lucky to be 5 in country. Olympic status has been well known as being a death nail to a class, which is why the ILCA resisted Olympic status for 2 decades.

The strength of the Laser class comes from club level sailors and not the 20-30 elite sailors which the ILCA, ISAF and our national Laser Class associations and national sailing bodies dote over at our expense.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Old Dude

Old Dude Member

Alan makes a good point here and prior. I agree that the strength of the Laser class should come from club level sailors but it does not because they don't join the class association to the same extent that the top sailors do. I find it odd that so many here and in other forums have so much to say about what a class association should do while they do not bother to join the class association. I don't blame the class for supporting and aligning with the wishes of those that do join. Afterall it is the duty of the class officers to represent the members. The problem of club level sailors not being represented belongs at the laps of club level sailors of which I am one... though I did join the class.

As to the comments by others of boats/plaques not being recognized, I suppose anything is possible but this seems a bit chicken little the sky is falling to me. I would not hesitate to buy a boat with the current ISAF plaque on it. My guess is that whomever wins and whatever class prevails will recognize and include all boats Laser and Torches should they ever be built and sold. Even if BKI wins on all counts I would bet the Laser class continues.

As someone said earlier, hopefully it all gets resolved in 2014 but even if not the dispute does not seem to be having any significant effect on the sailors/fleets which is good news and a credit to those running the class association.

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Well said/written.
    I will add that the class as we know it may get another name if Kirby/BKI 'wins' (some or most of) the case since I read repeatedly that the Laser name/logo is (and will be) owned by LaserPerformance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I believe the only people who can actually kick a class from the Olympics are the IOC (the ISAF only recommends equipment, in theory the IOC could override it). How an equipment change would affect sailing as we are part way through an Olympic cycle would be hard to imagine (if you really care about that sort of thing).

I cannot honestly see BKI wanting to cause issue for the Olympic status at this present despite that fact that a significant majority of the class would like to be distanced from the Olympic band wagon....

Remember he did time his 'sacking' of the builders AFTER the 2012 Olympics specifically so it did not affect the supply of boats for the Olympic event.

5. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I would hope so.