Mainsheet Cleats

ncusdan

On page 37 of the 2004 Handbook reference is made to a location for a swivel cam cleat. The location is in close proximity to the location for the mainsheet ratchet block. No mention is made in the rules of a mainsheet swivel cleat, only two deck mounted cleats. Does anyone know why this location is identified as it appears that the only legal mainsheet cleats are the ones mounted on the deck.

Finn,

Could you please quote the relevant section from the ILCA Handbook in the "Laser Class and Politics" board of this Forum? Many of us North American members have neither received our membership cards nor our Handbook yet!

Shevy Gunter
Member, ILCA-NA

Howdy fellow Laserites,
I've got a question, I don't remember when or where I heard it. It's probably not correct... But here goes anyways. Is it legal to have a swivel cam cleat with your rachet block mounted off of it? I don't like where the mainsheet cam cleats are mounted and still want to have a way to cleat the main sheet. I know that alot of the top sailors sail without them. But I still want to have the capability of cleating the main without having a pain in my arse from sitting on the cleats when I try to keep my weight forward. I'm tempted to try the smaller cleats out, but still think it will poke and prod uncomfortably when I'm sitting on it. The other thought is flipping a knot in the main when i want to have both hands available. the reverse thought on that is hope I can get the knot out easy when a sudden need comes along to release the main.
I'd love to hear your opinions on this subject.
FishingMickey
150068/150087

Shevy:

I have a 2002 Handbook and here the measurement diagram is on page 36. Obviously, what I am driving at is the legality of a swivel cam cleat mounted near or with the mainsheet ratcher block.

Mainsheet rarchet blocks with swiveling bases and cam cleats have been legal for ages. It's the standard "cruiser rig".

Michael: Try using a "slip knot". The kind they use on spinnaker guy and sheet where they exit their ratchets. Undone with a single pull.

Shevy

Back