looks like a sunfish except for coaming

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by fjphourty, Jun 15, 2010.

1. tag

tag my2fish

Wayne, it might have - but the emblem was removed (and lost?) for a re-paint job years ago (by previous owner), and they might have "repaired" that hole, as it was not there. That looks to be right where I cut a inspection port in, so I can't double check, though.

tag

2. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

If your boat has become completely sealed tight through repairs and modifications, you might consider drilling a breather vent in the cockpit.

3. tag

tag my2fish

Wayne,
    I still have a leak somewhere, so she ain't watertight, that's for sure. But, when I've been storing it in my garage this summer, I keep the inspection port covers off, and have a small fan running on it to keep her dry between sailing trips. I'll look it over again for any tiny holes, though, and if I can't find one, maybe add a vent as you suggest.

thanks,
    tag

4. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Don't confuse this vent with something intended as ventilation for staying dry. This little hole is just for pressure equalization when the boat moves from the shade of your garage to the heat of the sun.

5. tag

tag my2fish

wayne,
    yup - I was just saying I don't keep it shut up tight right now, so I shouldn't have any unequal pressure problems. thanks for clarifying the vent hole purpose, though.

tag

6. isleofwightlen

isleofwightlen Member

I once had an AMF Flite 12 ( Minifish ) which had a "VENT" sticker , just below the cockpit vent hole. The sticker also had an arrow on it , pointing straight at the vent hole , just to make doubly sure you didn't plug it up !
    I've got some photo's of it on my computer somewhere , but I can't find them. No doubt I'll stumble across them.

7. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Ah, I thought you were relating the two, but you just mentioned them in the same breath. Got it now. Sorry 'bout that.

That's cool, never encountered that before. Not that something can't exist just because I haven't seen it :eek:. It is mentioned in the manual, or one of the manuals, but I've yet to see it identified directly on any of the boat models.

8. isleofwightlen

isleofwightlen Member

I've found the photo's on a disc of the Flite 12 Minifish clone rigged up , but typically I don't have any shots of the inside of the cockpit & that vent sticker.

9. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

I definitely have seen a Sunfish with "hull vent" molded into the cockpit right by the vent. This was back when my cone was small - perhaps 1972 or 1973, and the Sunfish in question was from the '60s. That's all I can remember, but somehow the fact it said "hull vent" has stuck in my oversize cranium. BB