Laser top speed??

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by spot, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

I've dropped down the face of waves while going downwind in 15-20 kts and had the main hang limply for a few seconds as my boat presumably went faster than the wind. It's about the most fun thing imaginable...also a good time to leisurely jibe!

2. ascella_dylan

ascella_dylan New Member

@ about 15-20 you will probably loose control cause o the fact that your foils will start to cavitate and you will be going till the boat desides she doesn't want to go anymore!!
    dylan

3. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

hey at apt if you wanna spend 150$ they have a thing that van tell you your speed

4. 1sailor

1sailor Member

75 knots, interstate I-96 going to put the boat in storage....

5. mustang__1

mustang__1 New Member

Re: Top speed ever

A litle while ago when i first bought my laser radial i was out sailing in about 20kts of wind and the thing was flying. However this is mostly due to the fact that i weigh 100lbs :) . It was close to impossible for me to work the boat upwind though (i have been sailing for a while but not real sailboats until recently). i think that now that i have more time in the boat i would have spent a lot more time sailing instead of swimming and untangling the mainsheet from around my foot. For the time that that the boat was upright it was a real rush though. I have since bought a 4.7 which i'll probably use for the next year.

Dan

6. rocketdan321

rocketdan321 New Member

Ok, Here is the deal. During the summer I spend 2 weeks sailing Lasers in Upper Michigan. The winds are extreamly stedy because of the great lakes. I sail on a lake about 2 miles from Lake Michigan and our avrage wind is like 15-25 and sometimes more. During my 2 weeks of sailing we were doing a trip across the lake to the public beach. It was one laser a hobie wave (really slow) and a hobie 14 (good speed) we all left at the same time and I was in th laser. After about 2 minuits we were far off of shore the wave was still just getting out of the shallows and this was in a 25MPH wind with greater gust. When the winds get big up their so do the waves. The waves were huge and crashing over our boat if we sailed the wrong way. WE managed to sail along side of the waves and what we would do is sail up the wave then surf it down and actly plain accross it being lifted out of the water. the boat would go so fast that it felt like it was going to leave us behind. I had my GPS unit with me that day and it measured a top speed of 20 knots. my avrage speed was 18 Knots and i bet i could of gone faster (if it was only one perosn on the boat). As we were sailing somone was on a windsufer and they were litterally flying by us doing the leingth of this 10 mile lake over and over again as we were making it accross. We went so fast that day we passed moter boats (including the whaler that was coming with us incase something happened, they were not really usefull cuz they could not keep up with us we were going so fast.) BEST sail ov my life

7. David

David New Member

"I had my GPS unit with me that day and it measured a top speed of 20 knots."

Intresting, you just set a new world record :p

Just kidding, but be careful with using handheld GPS, they aren't as accurate as people believe them to be. The world record for the Laser class is 19.7 knots, set by Michael Blackburn on March 10th, 2005. The article is here.

Just a little note, next time you should make your own topic about your experience, instead of bringing up one from last Christmas ;).

Happy sailing, it sounds like you have awsome weather there :).

8. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I don't know why. I enjoyed reading the old posts and the new one fit right in.

Merrily

9. Twister

Twister New Member

I agree with alot of the points about a laser 1(crew, fleets, etc.) but in a breeze just shitting around i would take the laser 2 anyday. On a reach with the spin up and the crew almost touching the water on trap....there is nothing like it.

10. Jon bradbury

Jon bradbury New Member

i was practicing with my coach and one of my mates who was in his blazex dont kno if u got them across the pond but hey he had it rigged up with a gps thing and he just passed me to leeward doin 25 knots it was blowing like mad but yeah i must of been going 22or 23 knots it was amazing spray everywhere.

11. David

David New Member

Alright, sorry about this then. Most of the staff at other forums I use always get a little angry when people bring up really old topics.

12. MDsailor170758

MDsailor170758 New Member

Fastest clocked for me so far was 15mph in a small gust racing my family's ski boat (though I know I've gone faster). And I've at LEAST doubled that in my sailboard. My friend and I bought an international-14 but we can't keep it upright long enough to get moving very fast.

13. MDsailor170758

MDsailor170758 New Member

Neat article! However, unless I am reading it incorrectly, 19.7kts was his top speed during the crossing. His time of 13 hrs was the record, not his top speed. Though 20kts is crazy fast. I'm exhausted after a few hours of racing, no way I could keep it up for 13+ hrs.

-C