Laser Sail Repairs

Andy_B

Sailing is not too much wind 20 knots, the bottom batten pocket has ripped at the end on both sides so now the batten pokes out from either side.
Can I get this repaired or does this fall into the changing 'the sail panel'
Cheers

Andrew
Laser 180383

My batten pockets have ripped,too,on my well-used practice sail. You can get a roll of adhesive Dacron repair tape from the APS catalog and cut a patch to put on either side of the end of the pocket to patch the hole where the batten wants to slide out. It's a cheap quick fix that will hold for quite a while-several months at least. My patches are starting to peel off now but it won't be hard to make a new patch. It works-I haven't lost any battens.

Hope this helps!

...I just reread your post after writing this and see that your batten is poking out in front and back. My pockets only ripped at the forward end of the batten and that's what I patched; maybe someone else can help with the back end of the pocket ripping.

you can sew your batten pocket or use sail tape both work... sail tape is a bit easier while sewing will last longer... your choice... just go at your local marine store & they should have proper sewing stuff for sail or just sail tape... and if you might wanna tape the end of your battens if they are riping your sail something is wrong somewhere...

Back