Laser Compasses

I have a compass for my laser and i was just wondering if anyone else uses them. I had a question about how to (if possible) use it downwind. Thanks

Mullet Time! said:
I have a compass for my laser and i was just wondering if anyone else uses them. I had a question about how to (if possible) use it downwind.
If you know how to use it upwind, you know how to use it downwind. On both legs you use it to identify the favored tack (or gybe).

Upwind you try and sail on the lifted tack and sail to the inside of the next shift.

Downwind you try and sail on the headed gybe and sail to the outside of the next shift.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

but wouldnt sailing by the lee make those tactics useless? sorry, i should have made my previous post more clear

Murphs said:
but wouldnt sailing by the lee make those tactics useless?
Not that I know of. Having the option to sail by-the-lee just gives you more flexibility on choosing downwind angles without having to gybe. From the "shorest course to the mark" perspective, there's really no difference between sailing a regular starbord broad-reach, and the same compass-course, but by-the-lee on port.

I think... (?)

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Back