I am a new "newbie" looking for advice!

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by Zrtsixx, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Not cautious enough if you are sailing in 40 degree weather in a partial wet suit. IMHO.

2. wendellb67

wendellb67 New Member

I hadn't considered this boat--55 lbs sounds awesome!

3. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Does any sailor have experience with the O'day Wigeon 12 sailboat?
    Looking at one on Craigslist.
    Anything?
    [​IMG]
    M

4. LoveTheSea

LoveTheSea New Member

Hi, I've been sailing over 50 years and I would start by reading up a bit and get as much info as you can. This will really help when you get on the water. There is a great App the SailingApp that has many reference topics and great on the water tools that are very accessible when on a boat! www.sailingapp.com

5. AQBill

AQBill Member

Dear Zrtsixx, Now you should find some other folks with Sunfish so that you can compare notes and do some side-by-side sailing to learn a few tricks. Harbor Island is a good club although doesn't have - as I recall - Sunfish. They're mostly a Laser crowd. Our Club - Muscle Shoals Sailing Club - does have a racing Sunfish (aka me). The beauty of the Sunfish is that it's easy to sail once you get the basics down. Although you can fool with outhaul and cunningham controls, just set the rig for average conditions and use the tiller and sheet...until such time that you appreciate the nuance of the finer controls. Join the US Sunfish Association, get a copy of the Sunfish Bible and come down to the Shoals to visit sometime. You can camp at the club or at a nearby motel. AQBill

6. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

Lasers are a great single person boat and can be sailed for fun or for racing..

I'd look for something like a small Hunter (146, 150), Catalina 14.2, or a Lido.. all are affordable boats and a bit larger.