Hull Covers

The $ 99.00 Intensity covers I've seen are made of a Tyvek type material. They are lighter and seem to be intended more for "occasional" use for like overnight covers at regattas or more as dust covers when storing the boat indoors.

Has Intensity introduced a more durable material?

I've always used the "Sailors Tailor" brand covers. They are made of very durable material and intended for extended outdoors protection. Actually, mine have lasted for over 5 years and are still going strong.

Intensity does have travel top and bottom covers in the $170 range. These are about $75 to $100 less than all of the other covers I have seen. Just wondering if the quality is there.....

Has anyone bought one of the Intensity Sails bottom hull covers? Are they as good as the Storm or Colie covers?

I would think you want consider fabric and thread used to make cover...

If you want to consider more options, I bought a (SLOsail dot com , the SLO means San Luis Obispo-- think Cal Poly Uni) laser cover which is sunbrella fabric and tenara thread-- both UV resistent. :)

They also have bottom laser covers.

OT: I also bought trampoline with tenara thread (for my 18' catamaran) to reduce shipping costs from them as they have pretty good prices.

just my $.02 :)

Intensity does have travel top and bottom covers in the $170 range. These are about $75 to $100 less than all of the other covers I have seen. Just wondering if the quality is there.....

OK. Well, I can't speak about the cover quality, but I can tell you that I have been satisified with the quality of their practice sail product. I understand they stand behind their products pretty well too.

I don't have an Intensity cover, but looking at their site, they are using an acrylic type fabric (similar to Sunbrella)

My experience with the acrylic fabric is that they make great covers when the boat is not moving, but for travel covers then tend to billow out from the stretch in the material unless you have a lot of tie down points in the cover..

The better material for travel covers that I have seen is Top Gun or equiv. It's a heavier and more dimensionally stable material. I bought a bottom cover made by one of the posters here and it fit like a second skin and stays that way on the highway.

I think Top Gun material is the way to go. Especially if you are going to travel with it.

Not sure about intensity sails warranty on there $150 cover (and no mention of tenara thread) but both the SLO sail (blue sunbrella dot com fabric/ tenara @ $160) and the Colie (grey "Top Gun" [colie's brand name] fabric/tenara @ $269) have 5-year warranty.

With a name like Top Gun it's gotta be good!

Sorry. you wanted bottom cover only:
SLO sail (blue sunbrella dot com fabric/ tenara @ $202) and the Colie (grey "Top Gun" [colie's brand name] fabric/tenara @ $269) have 5-year warranty.

From the specs on the Intensity site, it's seems to be a lighter weight (7.6 oz compared to 9.25 oz for Sunbrella) acrylic.

Maybe I'm off base... :confused: where did u see those specs/acrylic mentioned on the on the Intensity site? I just not realize sunbrella was acrylic (Sunbrella is widely known/popular in marine).

All I see is for the intensity hull covers... "[FONT=arial, helvetica]same acrylic that is used by auto makers for convertible tops" and only a one-year warranty (instead of five years as with the colie or slosail)

I do see that the intensity site is also selling a SLOsail product for the Laser 2 (but with vantage fabric).

For the same warranty and lower price, looks like SLO. :)

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]I'm sure this all this info will help OP.

The specs on the material Intensity is using are on the same page, a little lower down

The Vantage material that SLO uses is approx 6.8oz (warranty from the fabric manufacturerr to the fabricator is 3 yrs)

IMHO, Sunbrella material is a better fabric then the Vantage - even SLO agrees
http://www.slosails.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=8

Sunbrella costs more and carries a 5 yr warranty from the fabric manufacturer. That's why every one charges more for a cover made from Sunbrella over other "similar" acrillic fabrics

But again, IMHO for travel covers, covers made from top gun material (11 oz) do a better job and will last longer then any of the other materials mentioned so far...

I got Intensity's cover at the start of the summer and it's been excellent. The fabric seems good and strong; fits well; ties well.

I got intensity's top cover in July and it's been great... has a good bungee all around, reinforcements over all the deck cleats and hardware, a reflecting back and three tie downs that encircle the boat. It was a gift, but I think she paid $165-170 for it, and received great service.

The specs on the material Intensity is using are on the same page, a little lower down...

But again, IMHO for travel covers, covers made from top gun material (11 oz) do a better job and will last longer then any of the other materials mentioned so far...

My cover has bungee all around and six tie downs (but that is top cover and not bottom cover). :D

Vantage fabric was only mentioned for laser 2 in my previous post (as it is offered on the intensity website) :p

You seem like a sales person as I do not see any mention of specific fabric weight (in oz.) terminolgy on either the intensity or the colie, or slosail websites. :D

I see:
[FONT=arial, helvetica] a) 100% Yarn Dyed Woven Acrylic
b) Denier of thead = ...
c) Weight : +/- 260g/meter square
d) UV Resistance Grade : ...
e) Color Fasteness : ...
f) Water Repellant : ...
[/FONT]
For sake of argument, let's assume your correct that there are three flavors 7.6 oz, 9.25 oz, and 11 oz. fabrics

Considering the 9.25 oz fabric:
So for $70 more, you get 1.75 oz more and same 5 yr warranty
Or for $43 less, you get 1.65 oz less but only 1 yr warranty

My conclusion was, "[FONT=arial, helvetica]For the same warranty and lower price" :)
[/FONT]
:eek: There is one more to consider... (but he was not also selling tramps and that is why I choose SLOsail), and that is Larsen Canvas: http://www.geocities.com/larsencanvas/

And look,... this guy uses the Top Gun material for only $180 for hull cover / $170 top cover. Seems like the best deal !

I will probably get their sausage bag (with orange flag) for spars to save on setup time. ;)

i was waiting to mention a Larsen cover. i've had mine for 5 years and it's still in great shape. i remember great customer service and i think he's a class member and fellow racer. i'm sure it's worth a look for comparison in these competitive times.

Not a salesman, I'm just presenting facts and sharing knowledge that I have picked up thru the years..

There are a lots of companies making Laser covers (almost any sailmaker or canvas shop, even Harken!) , that's why I think it's worthwhile to understand the differences in the materials, as well as what works and what doesn't in real use.

I have the intensity sails covers for both my boats. I have the 99 dollar brown ones for my bang around boat and the 170 dollar ones for my good boat. I just recently purchased the new ones for the good boat and they are working well so far.

I also have been very happy with the 99 dollar ones as well. If you're like me and on a rather strict budget, they do the job very well. I've had them for two years since they were first introduced. No complaints at all

Thanks WCSailor, I think I will go with the Larson top cover, I have the Intensity sail "sausage cover" and I really like it setup is just minutes.

Our family owns a marine canvas business so I won't comment on any brands of covers, but I will comment on fabrics & threads as we use a lot of both "Sunbrella" and "Top Gun/Harbortime".

"Sunbrella" is a brand name normally associated with a 9.5 oz. pigment dyed woven acrylic fabric made by Glen Raven Mills. There are some similar products by other manufacturers.

We find Sunbrella to be quite durable in the Florida Sun and in fact have replaced zippers and restitched bimini's and covers that are upwards of 15 years old. The fabric was still in good condition. Sunbrella does chaffe and frays, but as long as the cover fits well and has reinforcements where it rubs, it will last a long time. We do not find that it stretches at all. What happens on new covers is that the stitching bunches the fabric a little and that covers take their true shape after a week or two in service. Some manufacturers make their covers to fit looser and that can lead to more flapping and chaffing down the highway. Sunbrella is very breathable, so does not trap moisture. Waterproofing deteriorates but can be reapplied with a spray when needed.

"Top Gun" and "Harbortime" are popular brands for an 11 oz. acrylic coated polyester fabric. Since the coating is included in the fabric weight, I would not get excited that it weighs more because you can't directly compare weights between different types of fabric. The acrylic coating serves to increase the UV resistance, makes the fabric water-proof, and stabilizes it against stretch. It also makes it work well on the computer controlled cutting machines. "Top Gun/Harbortime" costs about 60% what Sunbrella costs so the cover should be less expensive. We find that "Top Gun/Harbortime" generally lasts about 6 years in the Florida Sun and gets brittle with age. It probably lasts longer than that in cooler climates. If you do cut it or wear a hole in it, the tear does not usually spread quickly when the covers are new. While I have seen claims that "Top Gun/Harbortime" is breathable, it is not and traps moisture that gets inside the cover. We find that it mildews easily if water hangs in the cover for long.

"Tenera" thread is a monofiliment thread made from PTFE (commonly know as Teflon). While it is more UV resistant than polyester threads, it starts out about half as strong in the first place for equal diameter thread . Tenara is not more chaff resitant. Most cheaper covers (OEM supplied or mass market) are made with V92 polyester thread and the stitching will generally last about the 5 year life of a polyester fabric cover. Sunbrella fabric usually needs to be resitched after 5 years with V-92 thread. We use V138 DaBond anti-wicking Polyester thread and it starts out about 5 times stronger than V92 Tenara. We have never had a failure with it.

For my own boat, I've made a Sunbrella bottom cover with "Top Gun" reinforcements at the stern corners and a non-woven padding around the stem. As we live in Florida, my concern was sun protection more than anything but it now has about 3500 miles at highway speeds and is holding up well.

Back